Chapter 19: Healing

Elk sits up, seeing Jesse there, and the boy talks, "Hey, they're awake. Both of them." Elk turns to Adalie and gently shakes her, "Hey, they're awake." Adalie lifts her head, rubbing her eyes and they follow Jesse and see the twins both awake and the four were silent, and the twins run to their parents, hugging them tight. Divoky looks up at Adalie, "I'm sorry mom, I shouldn't have yelled..." She pets his hair, "Shhh, it's alright. It's alright. I shouldn't have kept it from either of you." He bacs up a little and looks at Elk, "Dad... I.... I don't even want to think what would've happened if we did kill you.." Aldara nods, "I can't believe we fought you... We tried to snap out of it, but something kept us from doing so, I swear!" Elk chuckles, and he comforts his offspring, "Hey now, it's okay." The twins try to calm down as their parents console them, but the thought of them actually fighting their father, trying to kill him still scared them. 

They all go outside to catch some fresh air and Aldara sits next to Elk, "Hey dad... I remember a dream where Divoky and I saw you.. and you made us keep a promise. To protect each other, and never lose hope.. We saw you when you were split during the time of the war..." Elk looks at the ground and he holds her close, and Aldara looks up at him, "We never broke that promise. Divoky was starting to, but he knew that you never break your promises, so why should we break ours?" Elk chuckles and he pets her hair, "I'm sorry it took me so long to keep my promise..." "You needed to heal, and I understood that..." He gently kisses her forehead and smiles at her, "Thank you..." Aldara giggles and hugs him, and he smiles, tears filling his eyes. She looks back up at him, "Though we did go through what you went through..." "Except you didn't cause a war.." She gently pushes him, and he laughs and they both stand up and join the others.

Adalie sees them and she smiles, "There you two are." Emilia and Josiah greet them and Divoky smiles and looks at his bandages, and Elk pats his back, "hey, it's gonna get better okay? Wounds heal.." "It's not that... I can't stop thinking about when we fought you... or you split apart..." He looks up at Elk, "Why split?" Elk sighs, "Keres wanted to make it seem as if... I was looking in a mirror, like when I was fighting myself, except I was fighting my own blood, which was you and your sister." Divoky looks down as he and Elk walk together and he looks back at his father, "I almost broke my promise... I was starting to lose hope when you said you were coming back... and deep down I was getting tired of waiting and worried that maybe you weren't able to come back..." He looks down, feeling guilty and Elk ruffles his hair, "Hey now, no more tears. It's alright now." He makes Divoky look at him, "I know it was hard... and I'm sorry... but I'm not mad at you..." 

Divoky smiles and hugs him, and Elk lets him walk over to everyone and the Woman walks to Elk, "Are you okay?" He nods, "Yeah... just making sure they are." She looks at the twins as they talk with the herd and looks back at Elk, "Did you do the right thing?..." Elk sighs, "I hope so... I hope now she is at peace, and everything will be okay from now on." She smiles at him and places a hand on his shoulder, "I'm sure everything will be... especially for the twins." Elk looks at her and he smiles, then looks back at the twins, "You're right."

.

.

.

.