Chapter 16: Do the Right Thing

The General and the Nowhere King look at Horse, silent and Keres looks at her, "You catch on pretty well..." Horse turns to the griffontaur, "Keres, just listen. I know you're in pain, and you're angry." Keres's eyes water and she points the sword at the Nowhere King, "He killed my brother! Then I killed my father and I will never forgive myself for that! I never asked for all of that to happen! I AM IN PAIN! I'm not angry I'm furious!" Horse steps forward, "Keres... your father forgave you, remember?... He wanted you to do the right thing... Do you think this is what he meant by that?" Keres looks at the twins who were now still, facing their father and she looks at her reflection in the sword and she drops it, "No.... it's not..." Hadeon and Adron watch as Horse walks to the griffontaur, and takes her hand, "Then do what is the right thing..." Keres sighs and she walks to the woman and holds out her hand for the key, and the Woman gives it to her and Keres takes her knife and slits her palm, her own blood dripping onto the key and it glows.

She holds it up to the twins and Elk's halves and chants, "I free you now from this control, it is time for me to pay my toll. Become normal again, release the curse from thine, and become who you were before one more time." The ooze drips off the key and it was normal and a blue flash shined through, everyone covering their eyes, and once it faded, Elk and the twins' halves were normal, no longer undead or covered in goop. The elk looks at the General and then at the twins who nearly collapse, but they catch them in time before they hit the ground. Adalie gasps and runs to them and gently holds Divoky's human half and his animal half close, and Keres gives the Woman back the key, "Here... I've touched it for too long. You do the rest..." The Woman takes it and Keres looks at her and the Woman nods, then rides on Becky Apples to the group and sits with them, "Time to become whole... once again." The key glows one more time and when it cleared, Elk was back to his normal centaur self and the twins were as well.

Elk gently touches Aldara's cheek and Adalie lifts Divoky's head gently, and they both cough. The twins open their eyes and looks, "Mom?.... Dad?...." Elk and Adalie's eyes water and they hug them, crying and Hadeon looks at Keres, "So... this whole time... it was revenge for your brother?..." She nods and walks over to Elk and kneels before him, "I am ready to take the consequence of my actions... Do what you must." Adron steps forward, "Keres..." "I've been doing it all wrong... I manipulated so many... I've lied... It's time I take responsibility..." Elk stands, looking at her and she gives him the sword, "If it's no trouble... I want to reunite with my family.... please... It will truly bring me peace.... put me at rest..." Elk takes it and looks at her, "I... Are you sure this is what you want?..." She nods, "I've been away from them for too long... and I just want to rest... that's all I ask."

Elk raises the sword, his arms shaking and Keres looks at the ground, closing her eyes. This is what she truly wants, finally letting go of the burden and learning to forgive one last time. He takes a deep breath, and Keres says another word, "I'm sorry..." Elk's eyes water and he shuts them, "Keres... you have my forgiveness... I hope you are guided back to your family and will be at peace. I now put you to rest for your final day..." Keres smiles and Elk shuts his eyes tight, then with one swift downward motion, the sword goes through and there was a small thud. Elk takes the sword out and moves Keres's hair out of her face, "I forgive you..." Adalie uses her magic to make a hole and Hadeon and Adron take their friend's body and gently place it in the ground, covering it up. Elk takes the sword and sticks it into the dirt of the grave and after a while, everyone walks out the battlefield, the sword now in place and Keres was now finally at peace.

.

.

.

.

.