🌙Forty-Three🌙

The lobby was packed full of people, all of them scared out of their minds

The lobby was packed full of people, all of them scared out of their minds. They thought this was a safe place. A paradise. I stood next to Kuina, watching the scene unfold. Niragi was keeping his calm as far as I could tell. However, it worried me that he gripped that gun so tightly. I could see the frustration pouring from him.

"I bet he'll end up killing a few." Kuina scoffed, crossing her arms. She angled the phone in her hand, peering down at the brightly lit screen.

"What makes you say that?" I asked hands shoved into my pockets as I allowed myself to slip back behind the brick wall that shielded my mentality from everything else.

"It's so obvious... he's gripping that gun for a reason. Plus, Aguni has him in his pocket. And Aguni hasn't been himself since Hatter's death." She answered nonchalantly.

"You think Aguni's up to something?" I asked. "I got the cards. What more is there to do? Nell needs to be kept out of this mess."

"You haven't told her?" Kuina sent me a sharp glare. "Chishiya... that isn't right."

"I know, know." I paused, raising my hand in surrender. "But I have to keep Nell safe. And Aguni's been ordering weird things. Commanding Niragi to kill a few people, sometimes ones that seem suspicious." Kuina raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"So you're saying Niragi's been plotting against Nell with Aguni?"

"Look. All I know is that my purpose is to keep Nell safe and sound. Either you can join me, or you can butt out." I snapped, turning my attention toward the screen as the announcer listed the rules and goals to finish the game.

"I'll always keep her safe, Chishiya. You know that."

"I know you have feelings for her," I mentioned, causing her to watch me carefully.

"I do." She admitted, uncrossing her arms as silence pierced the room mercilessly.

"Shouldn't you tell her, then? I'm sure she'd want to know." I studied Niragi's moves, watching him grow more and more impatient.

"Who's gonna speak up, huh? Go on, tell us which one of you is the witch!" Niragi yelled, causing the crowd to move away in discomfort. A woman stumbled out of the crowd. I immediately noticed her as the dead woman's sibling. I watched as Niragi glared in suspicion. She ignored him, kneeling next to her sister's body. "Are you the witch? I bet she's the witch! She wasn't anywhere to be seen earlier today. Don't you think that's a bit suspicious?" Niragi turned to Aguni, awaiting his orders.

"Kill the girl and toss her into the fire."

"Wait! She was with me." Ann claimed, pushing past the countless people who were too shocked to run away for their own good.

"Let's leave before we get ourselves into more trouble," I whispered to her, grabbing her wrist and dragging her away from the crowd who were getting increasingly anxious as the seconds ticked on.

"I agree." She replied, hurrying behind me.

༺༻
We're back to the short chapters! Yay! However, if you prefer longer ones, please let me know. I originally made them shorter because some people don't have much time on their hands and I wanted to make this a fanfic someone could read whenever they were waiting on something. Sounds kinda stupid, I know. But this is what I had in mind. Anyway, I hope you're all enjoying the story.

Thank you for reading, much love, and treat people with kindness. Including yourself.

x NIRAGISJAM ✨️💛