[Chapter 67: Twisted Talk]

Start from the beginning

"No...No...You meant well...I just..." Fumbling for words, you took a deep breath in before breathing back out; collecting your composure whilst you struggled to regain control. "I just acted a little bit too nervous...My mistake."

"Hey, don't sweat it." Billy brushed it off in a friendly fashion, clearly trying his hardest to show compassion and be supportive. "Hell, if I was still in your situation, I'd be a tiny bit agitated too."

"Oh...? I would've thought it would be sort of different for you." You mused thoughtfully, thinking back to how casual and chill both boys seemed. "All things considered."

"All things considered? And just what is that supposed to mean?" He mischievously quizzed, your reply making you feel like you'd struck a sore spot somehow.

"I-I just meant that you guys seem so strong-willed, that's all. That you could...That you could face anything that came your way." You complimented dramatically, praying that your remark sounded kind to him.

"Hmm...Good save." Billy chuckled playfully, clearly entertained by the conversation you were both having. "Well, anyway, uh...I was wondering if you'd like to hang out with us this afternoon? Y'know, unwind because of this whole "unwanted admirers" bullshit."

"Aww, that's really sweet of you, but I..." Hesitating, you flashed a tense glance at Jason; the hockey-masked male narrowing his eyes in return as he clutched his trusty machete. "I already have other plans for this afternoon. So...I'm sorry, but—"

"That's all good. No worries." He calmly responded, brushing off your rejection like it was nothing. "Mind if I ask what you're up to though...?"

"U-Um...Well, I..." Trailing off, you internally panicked; frantically grasping at straws while Jason walked you to Camp Crystal Lake's exit. "I was just...spending some quality time with a friend...Y'know, taking a walk with someone...to relax...?"

"Oh...So you're simply spending time with someone else instead...?" Billy commented carefully, picking up on your words and what you were saying specifically. "Is it the overprotective boyfriend you brought up a couple of days ago...? Be a shame if they took away or hogged any more of your so-called "freedom", now wouldn't it...? Especially since you've worked so hard to keep everybody happy. Y'know, keep everyone perfectly content and all that."

"W-What are you saying...!?" You blurted out in a shocked manner, your behaviour making Jason look at you with bewilderment. "I...I mean, it's-it's not that...! R-Really...! Really. I just...I'm just enjoying some quality time with-with another friend...! It may not be Rose, Amber, Cadence or Laura - heck they won't know who I'm spending time with - but honestly, this Saturday, I'm just relaxing."

"It's not an overprotective boyfriend...? But didn't you say back at the university that you dealt with one of those...?" Billy reminded you again, his curiosity causing you to remember your previous conversation between you both.

"What, afraid we won't like you or somethin'?"
"No, that's really not what I meant..."
"So then mind filling us in? On the problem, I mean?"
"Well, there's no problem per-se..."
"Overprotective boyfriend?"

"W-What on Earth would make you think that-!?"
"Oh, no reason, really." "I just find it hard to believe that a pretty girl like you is single, that's all. And besides, an overprotective boyfriend would explain the whole "no-male-friends" thing."

"Yes!" "My boyfriend is just really, REALLY, protective over me. It can almost be a little...annoying sometimes, y'know?"
"Damn, it sounds it." "Those relationships can be rather toxic though, so if you need any support—"
"It's-It's fine!" "I'm fine. But thank you. I...I appreciate it."

"Well, it IS that, but it...it's actually a lot more complex..." Trying to be somewhat truthful, you attempted to answer him correctly; staring down at the side of Crystal Lake as you continued speaking on the phone and walking with Jason.

"Are they taking up that much of your time...? I can tell you're sorta stressed-out right now." Billy spoke with sincere sympathy, genuine comfort flowing from his tone while he tried to sound understanding. "If you need someone to speak to, Stu's also here. Wanna say Hello, Stu...?"

"Oh, um...Sure, I'd be happy to—"
"Yo, what's up (Y/n)...? Been a while." Stu's voice suddenly drifted through the phone, growing surprisingly happy as you and him exchanged greetings. "Haven't heard from you since Thursday..."

"Yeah...It's good to hear from the two of you." You warmly remarked, reaching the camp's entrance before deciding to end the call. "Sorry I can't hang out with you both - or keep chatting - but I'm afraid I have to cut our conversation short. Hopefully you have a relaxing rest of your Saturday."

"Understandable. Speak to you soon...!" Once you said goodbye, you ended the call; pocketing your phone while you held hands with Jason straight afterwards.