"Cmon blondie, time to go." Kaya walked towards Eren and rode a cart back to their cottage.

.
.
.

It didn't take long for Eren to be moving around once again, however the ghoul wasn't present to order him around since she had taken up the responsibility to go on lookout for a few shifts. Kaya didn't mind being on lookout, it was calming, all she had to do was close her eyes and listen out for footsteps or voices in the distance. The ghoul soon heard horses galloping for the cottage and got out her swords in case she had to fight. Luckily it was just Hange and Levi.

"Hange and the others are back, we're meeting in the main room." Sasha told the rest of the squad.

"Now, what's this about?" Levi asked.

"I'm sorry, pastor Nick, he was murdered. Today in the Trost district barracks." Hange said, causing gasps to erupt from the cadets who knew Pastor Nick.

"I figured the church would want pastor nick dead when they learned he was cooperating with the scouts, that's why I hid his identity and had him stay in the barracks. I never imagined they would use soldiers to kill him. This was my fault, I should have been more careful." The scientist apologised with their head hung low.

"They tortured him, just to know what he'd passed on to us?" Armin questioned.

"Most likely, but these are the interior MPs we're dealing with so you can bet there's something deeper at work here. Now how many nails was the good pastor missing?" Kaya smirked at the captains idea and waited for Hange's response.

"I only caught a glimpse of him, but all the nail bed I saw were empty." The scientist answered.

"People who talk, talk after one. I can't say I thought much of the holy man until now." The thief added.

"Im impressed, whatever his faults he stuck by his beliefs till the end. Which means, they have no idea we know about the Reiss family. But the government is up to something and we've got a target on our backs." Levi informed the squads.

The ghoul took a sip of tea and set it down when she heard Nifa's footsteps in the distance. "Captain Levi sir, I have a message from commander Erwin. I went to tell him about pastor Nick but he gave me this and sent me off." The redhead explained while Levi read the note.

"Get your gear now, we're leaving. Make it look like we were never here." Levi instructed the squads as they instantly got up and gathered their things.

It didn't take long for them to escape onto a nearby hill to observe the mps raid the cottage, they had made it out just in time. "How did commander Erwin know they were headed here?" Armin questioned.

"Because he's a psychotic genius." The ghoul muttered.

"The governments passed down some new orders, there's been a freeze on all scout activity beyond the walls. We're to hand over Eren and Historia." The captain explained to the group.

"Captain, I didn't have time to tell you but some mps came for the commander right after I left him." Nifa added.

"What like he's some kind of criminal or something?" Hange gasped.

"Can't we just catch a break?" The ghoul groaned.

"They're bringing this fight out into the open, no more working from the shadows." Levi said.

"They're going to protect the walls secrets at any cost. But why exactly are they after Eren and Historia for? They don't want them dead, so what are they planning?" The scientist pondered, causing most the scouts to also think about the same questions.