✨[INTERMISSION I: The Role of (Y/N) (L/N) (Part 1)]✨

a/n: the narration in the intermission is in first person, but y/n refers to herself in third person at certain times

~~~~

[Enter] (Y/N), followed by a blank background and grey stage lights. In a clear and loud voice, she begins the narration.

I had everything. Well, at least that's what I thought for someone less than the age of ten. When you're a literal child, you think that the world is simple. You think that growing up and becoming an adult is the highlight of your life.

I was no exception to that idea, but it wasn't as black and white as you may think.

It was more... grey.

[Enter] Eight year old (Y/N) and (G/m/n).

The fully colorblind child fussed at the black and white chessboard, "That's not fair, grandma."

Me, my parents, Aunt Hina and Himiko had moved to the country side when I was about five. My grandma was visiting us.

"What do you mean?" The old woman across from her chuckled lightly, "I won fair and square."

"You always win..." Little (Y/N) folded her arms over her side of the table and laid her cheek against it, "I wanna win sometimes..."

"You told me not to go easy on you," Her grandmother reminded.

"I'd like to keep it that way please," (Y/N) pouted, "Chess is hard... And it's boring."

"Well, you're good at everything else, (nickname)," Grandma pointed out, "You're doing well in school, considering your age."

"Yeah, well that stuffs easy," (Y/N) huffed, "I thought this would be easy too."

"Ah..." Grandma tsked, "That's because you work hard in school."

It's simple to impress adults when you're young.

But I should have known that not everything comes easy.

(G/m/n) exits as (M/n) and an elementary school teacher enter.

"Your daughter is such a pleasure to have in class!" The teacher praised.

Little (Y/N) beamed in her seat with pride. She thought, I'm the best. I'm literally the coolest.

"She's respectful to her peers and always answers questions with enthusiasm," Her teacher went on, "She's a hard worker and isn't afraid to speak up. She does really well with presentations too! I can already tell she is going to go far in the future."

"I'm so happy to hear that," (M/n) grinned, "It's such a relief that her condition doesn't hold her back from reaching her full potential."

"No, no! It absolutely does not," The teacher reassured, "In fact, her reading level is well above her age range. Compared to other students, she's doing much better."

I'm so cool! (Y/N) repeated in her head, I'm amazing. It doesn't matter if I don't see color. I'm still the best.

Who wouldn't want to be me?