Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"Henry," Victoria said. All of her earlier anger had melted away and a wave of relief washed over her.

After all these years, he'd been here. Her dead brother, he was alive.

He didn't say anything, only looked at her with his cold, blue eyes. She realized that the reason she couldn't recognize him was his eyes, they were so much more distant and didn't show any sign of the caring person that he used to be.

But, seeing him again was a miracle, and after staring at each other for several seconds Victoria forgot how he was trying to banish a family and launched herself at him for a hug. He stood there, his entire body stiff.

"I'm so glad you're here, you don't realize how much I've missed you! Oh, Henry! We were all so worried when you never returned. I just, I-."

"You-you shouldn't be here," he stuttered, and shoved her away.

Victoria opened her mouth, but nothing came out.

"I have some work to finish."

Remembering that her brother was trying to send people to their death, she took a step away.

"You're going to finish doing this? You know what you're doing, but you still do it?" she gasped. Her face was twisting from one of joy to one of disgust. Whoever was standing in front of her couldn't be her brother, the boy that used to give her his candy and let her win games so she would feel better.

Henry turned away from her, and Victoria was glad, she could hardly bear to look at him.

"You wouldn't understand, you're just a kid," he said. He said something to his men as they struggled to tie James' limp arms together. The taller one, who had a rugged head of black hair and a scar that trailed down his cheek, nodded and kicked the boat holding Mr. and Mrs. Prewett away. Victoria watched them as they struggled, almost tipping the boat over, and she heard their muffled screams. She forced herself to look away, trying to assure herself that she and Jess were overpowered by the three men and they couldn't do anything to help.

"No, Henry! I was just a kid five years ago, when I saw you last! And trust me, of anyone here you should know that a person can change in five years," she scoffed, walking back towards Jess who was still nervously watching James and holding the boat's rope.

"Come on, let's go."

"But- what- Ja-" stammered Jess.

Victoria only stared at her, and Jess could tell by the look she gave her that they weren't going to stay. They both unsteadily climbed into the boat and pushed away from the dock.

"I've got a plan," said Victoria under her breath. "Don't worry."

They rowed closer to Ms. Brooks' house until the Prewett's old home was out of view.

"So, what's your plan?" asked Jess. Her voice had returned to it's commanding and unwavering tone, with only a slight hint of how worried she was.

"Turn here," Victoria said, pointing towards the outside where the seemingly endless ocean sat. "We're going to go find James and his parents."

They turned, going out of the closure of the village and into the open sea. There weren't any waves, and they could see far out over the horizon. Victoria realized how deep the water must be where they were going, and she didn't dare think of what could live in it. Around the houses, the water was only three or four feet deep, but it quickly became a dark, ominous blue.

"Do you see anything?"

"Could that be a boat, way over there?" said Jess. She motioned to where there was a small dab of brown in the large expanse of blue.