•29•

"Demitri

"Demitri. For the last time, I said I'm fine."

He still hovered, fussing over her like an anxious mother hen and she had absolutely no idea why. It was funny at first to see him like this, but the fun had soon dissipated and now Nora was annoyed, her face flat with vexation.

They were safe. Away from the butchery probably already befalling Edward; taking advantage of the Cullen patriarch's soundproof office so poor Bella, who was crying and hugging Nora still, didn't have to be put through more trauma actually having to listen to Edward be killed.

Nora, whose mind was filled with dark stray thoughts as she attempted to ignore Demitri, would bet Edwards screams were loud and agonized. She was only slightly disappointed she couldn't hear them for herself, the relief she would feel to know and see he was suffering would know no bounds should she bear witness to his timely demise.

Wringing his hands, Demitri paced in front of the two of them who were squished together on the velvet emerald settee adjacent to the fire and the lone armchair before it. "Are you sure you're alright? Maybe we should go somewhere else, this is already too much for you and what if the Cullens attack in anger as a form of retaliation? You could be–"

"What, Demitri?" Nora had enough of his dulcet tones. "What's going to happen, huh? Do you really think they're going to get past Felix? I may not like the guy, but there's no denying he's built like a fucking tank. Plus, you're here to protect me, though...are you doubting your abilities? Are you not good enough?"

The jab was cheap, she'd admit it. But it had the desired effect.

He lost all worry and became stern, angry. "Of course I am good enough, Queenie. I will never let anything hurt you."

She smirked up at him from where she sat, knowing she'd caught him out. "So what's the problem?"

He grumbled under his breath and looked away in frustration, unable to provide any more argument.

Nora shook her head, turning her attention to Bella who laid her head on her shoulder.

Stroking her sister's hand connected to hers, Nora sighed through her nose to try to expel some anxiety, repeating it slowly three more times. It was a technique she used often to thwart panic attacks, only today it didn't seem to be working.