Chapter 25 - A New Beginning in Goodbye

"We dated. It all started when you were in the Philippines, Sam." We were all in awe upon hearing Vince's confession. "How did it happen? I thought you'll never like Anne," I asked. He sighed while handing me a piece of paper.

"I thought the same but everything changed when I got to know her. She's loving and caring; she always makes sure my family is alright. She's always checking on me even though at first it's really annoying. But as time goes by, I've learned to appreciate her gestures of kindness. She even stayed by my side when I was miserable." Vince took out his phone from his pocket, "I'll try to call her." Sadly, her phone number is no longer in service. "Darn it! I don't get why she's making things difficult for me to comprehend." Vince tossed his phone out of frustration, causing it to break into pieces. "Vince! Calm down!" I yelled. "If you don't have any more questions, I'd better leave now. I don't want to interfere with whatever is going on and I don't want to dig deeper with it. My plate is full as of now; I just don't have the energy to examine things further. But I'm sure you'll find the right answer to your questions, Sam." Vince left without looking back. We were left with a whirlwind of emotions. It never crossed my mind that he would eventually look at Anne behind the surface.

The next day, everyone was busy working on the project in Double D Corporation. We only had 10 days left to sort out everything before the launching date. I went to Sebastian's office to seek his advice about some details for the project's website. I passed through a hallway where I saw a glimpse of Andy's back. He was holding his laptop and was in a hurry. I was hoping he would look back but he didn't. I wondered where he was going so I decided to follow him. This setting felt like one of those detective shows which my dad loves so much. But first, I had to make sure Andy won't see me and if in case he saw me and would ask what I am doing, I had to think of any reason or maybe excuses to cover up what I'm up to. Andy was walking so quickly that I couldn't keep up with his pace. I passed by a glass window which vividly showed the views outside; the maple leaves were starting to fall from the maple trees. It's already autumn; my most favorite season. I was distracted for a while and then I lost sight of Andy. I searched the place but I couldn't find him. Where did he go?

As I kept on walking, I reached Sebastian's office in no time. I was about to barge in when a rather peculiar feeling hit me. I heard Andy's voice inside so I decided to listen to their conversation. I'm not someone who would eavesdrop on a conversation but my gut feeling was telling me to stay and listen for a while outside the door. I could tell from their voices, they were analyzing something.

"So, what's your plan now?" Andy asked. "No plans yet, I want to know what she's up to for now. When did you sort this out?" Sebastian answered with his arms crossed. "A while ago, I had trouble getting on with it last night since our clients were rushing me for an update about the project. I also felt sorry for Sam, she's not herself lately.

"I appreciate your concern. I'm sorry for troubling you Andy," Sebastian said. "Don't mention it, after all, I'm your best friend. I may be working for you but I will always be here for you if you need me as a friend." Sebastian smiled while saying, 'Oh please, cut the drama,' he teased. "Thanks though, I owe you a lot of things."

Andy placed his laptop on Sebastian's desk. A moment of silence then I heard a familiar sobbing voice.

"I don't know why I am doing this. You've been such a good friend to me. But I lost myself when I started to care for someone who couldn't even look at me twice. I thought he would see me the way he sees you if I would only stay by his side when you chose to say No. I knew that I might get hurt but I also want to take the chance. For the first time in my life, the guy whom I fell head over heels noticed me. But I never really thought that living behind your shadows will also hurt this much. I love Vince so much but I can't compete with you Sam because I know that I will never win. He talks so much about you and he always gave me tulips. I never liked tulips, so I'm giving it to you. I think it was really meant for you. I have a feeling he's still not over you. Goodbye Sam."