Chapter 18 - Unexpected Reunion

"You? Why are you here?" Sebastian said in confusion. I was also shocked and I couldn't help myself from being tensed. I reached out for his hand and I held it tight. The sudden news made him uncomfortable, he was so happy a while ago but now, I couldn't even describe the expression of his face.

"Mrs. Andrews, does it mean . . . you know, the picture?" I asked to lighten the mood.

"Yes Sam, Steve is my son. He contacted me when he came back in England. So, I went out of town to meet him, that time when I gave you a one day break if you could still remember," she said with a smile. She sat next to Sebastian but he was still uneasy with the current situation.

"Excuse me, I just need some air," Sebastian suddenly stood and he left the table.

"Sebastian! Come back here!" Mr. Douglas yelled at him.

"Dad, your heart! Please calm down!" Xander was quick to respond and he immediately warned his father.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Andrews, he must be shocked and he never saw this coming. I'll go talk to him."

"I understand Sam; I'm expecting that this will be his reaction since we haven't seen each other for a very long time."

"He will be ready to open his heart for you soon. Please be patient with him, just give him enough time."

"I will Sam. Thank you!" she said while trying to smile at me.

I patted her back then I left to search for Sebastian. I looked around the house but I couldn't find him; I went upstairs to check the rooms but he wasn't there. I decided to go outside to look for him until I found a hidden garden at the back of the farmhouse. There he was, sitting under the massive maple tree while holding a pink carnation.

"I finally found you! I had been searching for you," I said as I sat beside him. I hugged him and he started to wipe his tears. I looked straight into his eyes while saying "Tell me what's wrong. I'll listen." But he remained silent so I just sat beside him for a while without saying anything. Then he let out a heavy sigh.

"I'm sorry Sam. I never want you to see me like this but I couldn't control my emotions."

"No worries, cry as much as you want. Crying won't make you less of a man though."

"I'm not as strong as my brother when it comes to family matters. All my life I thought my Nan was already dead. They never talked about her when I'm around. I should have known it was her in the bookshop when she hugged me." Tears formed in his eyes and I ended up crying too while comforting him.

"Hey, why are you crying?" he asked.

"Because you're crying, I don't like it when you're crying," I said while wiping my tears.

"Oh no, I'm sorry munchkin. I promise to be stronger than my emotions next time."

"So, could you please tell me why you left earlier?"

"I didn't mean to be rude, I was just really shocked. My Nan looked different now; my last memory with her was when she left Germany. I ran after her while crying but she never dared to look back at me. I thought she abandoned me."

"She didn't abandon you. Honestly, she longs to be with you and your family. She tried to contact your dad before but she couldn't reach him. I was trying to ask you about the photo in the photo album earlier. Mrs. Andrews has a copy of it too, she poured out her heart to me when I saw her staring at it in her office before. Open your heart to her just like how you opened your heart to me when I chose to ran away from you. You forgave me so easily; your Nan deserves it too."