• | Chapter Sixty-Seven | •

Start from the beginning

As she was filling up the jug, the lights in the hall started to flicker on and off. Her heart leaped in her chest as she nervously looked around. She didn't dare speak like people normally do in horror movies. Nothing was out of the ordinary as the water almost reached the top and she shut off the water fountain. Just as she was walking back and putting the lid back on, a burly shadow walked behind one of the closed curtains and she froze. It disappeared as fast it had made its appearance.

She quickly blinked, then swallowed nervously as she hurried over to the doors. But they didn't budge this time. She was about to manually open it when that same shadow reappeared, but this time it came from behind the curtain and stood in front of the doors. The water jug fell from her grasp and made a puddle around her feet as the top had popped off from the impact of the floor.

Javen grinned at her while brandishing the gun in one hand. He held up his other hand and slowly waggled his fingers as he waved.

"Ry?" She could hear Michael trying to call for her before he started coughing again.

Javen put a finger to his lips before abruptly walking away to head to where Michael was resting. Her breathing became hard and heavy as she started frantically pulling at the door and banging on it.

"Michael!" She screamed, tears furiously running down her cheeks. "Javen, please don't!"

Within one blink, he had disappeared and she exhaled a breath of relief. The doors finally slid open and she abandoned the busted water jug to run across the ICU, then into Michael's room.

"Oh God, you're alright." She breathed as she ran over to him. He looked up confused, then touched her wet cheek.

"What's wrong, baby? Why are you crying?" He asked before coughing into his other hand.

"Javen was here. He was going to kill you." She said with a soft whimper and Michael furrowed his eyebrows. "He's not dead."

"What? That's impossible." He shook his head and tried to sit up again when he abruptly paused. She looked at him concerned as a wave of nausea washed over him. There was a sudden tightness in his chest and his skin felt hot as if the overhead lights were boiling him alive. He opened his mouth to speak again but only released a gurgle sound.

Riley touched his cheek but instantly recoiled her hand from his overheated skin. "Michael? What's wrong?"

He coughed again, and this time blood spurted from his mouth. They both stared down in horror as more blood began to seep from his wounds and stain his gown. A trail of blood seeped from one corner of his lips.

"Oh my God!" She gasped, then quickly rushed away from him. She ran past the open curtain only to find that the ICU was still empty. She looked around frantically for a nurse or a doctor, even the receptionist, but she didn't see anyone. She moved another curtain aside to come across an empty bed. "What the hell?"

She glanced back at Michael who continued to cough up more blood. The crimson red coated his chin, neck, and his hospital gown. She ran to the automatic doors only for it to remain locked once more. She tried opening it again herself, but it still wouldn't budge. She pulled another curtain aside and it revealed the same as before: an empty bed. She grabbed the IV pole stand and tried to ram it against the glass door, but it didn't shatter. Instead, the pole fell apart like it was made of the cheapest material known to mankind.

"Help! Is anyone out there!?" She yelled as she banged on the door frantically.

Nothing.

Her screams of pure frustration pierced the still air and she ran back over to Michael, grabbing a handful of crisp white towels from a rack that seemed to appear out of nowhere. She applied pressure to his wounds but the blood was endless. Within seconds, the towels were soaked in red and she ended up having to grab more.