Chapter 29

Chapter 29 ━━ Glowing And Irritable, Bro

━━━━━━━━☆★☆━━━━━━━━

The moon is still smiling down the New York City where Heather is currently sitting down on the back of an ambulance with Kate and Clint. Siren wailing can be heard in the distance. 

Kate has somehow managed to incapacitate Kingpin. Afterwards, Eleanor is arrested by the police for Armand’s murder. As Kingpin attempted to escape only to be confronted by Maya Lopez and ending up dead. 

"You know, I gotta be really honest with you, Kate. It doesn’t happen too often, but… every once in a while, you come across somebody that just makes you better… in every way." Clint speaks up, gaining their attention. 

"And that Missy, boy, she just… outdid herself with the suit, right? And the elasticity in this fabric…" He adds, jokingly. Obviously. It’s a playful jab at Kate, who knows the truth. 

"Okay, you can stop." Kate says with a small laugh. 

"I know tonight was a lot. You took on Kingpin all by yourself." Clint admits honestly. "Not many people walk away from somethin’ like that. And I’m so proud of you." 

"Thank you." Kate says. 

"Charles was here." Heather mumbles, rubbing his face. He is stressed. 

"Did he fight you?" Kate questions. 

Heather shrugs. "No, he just watched from afar like the creepy lunatic he is and left." 

"Why didn't he intervene?" Kate asks once again, just as confused as the Barton brothers. 

"He didn’t intervene because he wasn't there to kill anyone." Clint realises. 

"So he was messing around for fun?" Kate asks once again. 

"It was more like investigating." Heather answers, looking up at the dark sky and letting out a deep sigh. He is tired. 

"Investigating what?" Clint asks this time. 

"I don't know." Heather responds. 

"What now?" Kate asks, pulling her blanket to warm herself from the cold breeze of Christmas. 

"I got a few ideas." 

"Like what?" 

"There are things from the Destroyer days that I'm just remembering. Weapons left in the field... Dangers I can still prevent. I think maybe that's the path... A way to the redemption I've been looking for. How long will it take... I don't know if I can do it... Even if I could forgive myself... This is what I am now. And people will never know who I was before." 

Clint glances at Heather with a prideful look. Without wasting time, he gives the supersoldier a brotherly hug and pats on his back. "You have a good soul, Barney." 

Heather hugs back with a shit eating grin and his words come out in a sing-song tone. "Say it..." 

"I love you, little brother." Clint confesses affectionately with a smile. 

"I love you too, Clinton." Heather blinks dreamily, mocking a lovestruck high-school teenager. "This is where you kiss me, babe." 

"Take your hands off me, dipshit!" Clint cries out, trying to pry out an amused Heather, who is clinging into him like a leech with his annoying grin slapped on his face. 

"Oh my god, you guys are cute." Kate admits, laughing out at the hilarious bromance of the two brothers, enjoying the moment. 

Somehow, the trio have made it to Christmas, and Clint has finally made it home with his brother keeping up his promise. 

Heather is the first to jump out of the car, lazily stretching his limbs. He watches Clint getting out of the car and walking to the trunk. He looks pretty happy to finally be home. 

Feeling eyes on him, Clint looks up at his brother with a confused look. "What?" 

"I don't know. There's this morning you're like glowing." Heather replies, throwing his hands in the air. 

"Like glowing? What do you mean by glowing?" Clint asks, throwing his hands in the air, mimicking the supersoldier. 

"I just mean you got like a warmth about you like a bright light." Heather remarks. 

"There's no warmth. No glow and I ain't no damn light bright. You're wasting your time, dipshit." Clint grimaces, unloading the trunk full of presents and moving towards the front door. 

"Glowing and irritable." Heather mumbles under his breath and unpacks the remaining presents. "You coming, Katy Perry?" 

"Yeah. Come on, Lucky." Kate nods, joining him whilst Lucky excitedly barks at the new environment. "Hey, are you sure this is okay?" 

"I’m telling you, they’re very excited to meet you." Heather smiles and brings them inside to his new family who is excitedly waiting for him, Kate and Lucky. 

Clint’s kids are thrilled to see him, which Nathaniel jumps on his back with an excited cry for having his favourite uncle back. 

Clint is already giving Verity his Christmas kiss, which Heather wolf whistles at the couple, earning a slap on the back of his head by an amused Verity. 

That's how happiness and laughter filled the Barton household on Christmas day. It is beautiful and joyful.