Chapter 17

Chapter 17 ━━ A Battle To The Death, Bro

━━━━━━━━☆★☆━━━━━━━━

According to Clint, there's a high chance they'll wrap the issue up by the end of the day and sort out the whole Ronin situation. And now, Heather is walking Kate to work with Clint through the busy street of New York. 

"Your problem is branding." Kate concludes to Clint while Heather sips on his morning coffee. 

"No, my problem is you. And this ninja suit, and the people trying to kill you ’cause of it. It’s a problem that I’m going to solve today, so I can go home to my family." Clint replies. 

"No, it’s branding." Kate pushes on her theory. "Your whole thing is that you’re low-key. It’s a very hard brand to sell." 

"I think it's just about his age." Heather remarks sarcastically. 

"Well, I’m not really trying to sell anything." Clint says. 

"It should technically make you cooler, but with the scary stuff that’s happened since the Avengers appeared, people don’t want that cynical, cool thing anymore." Kate says, turning her head to look at the former Avenger. "They want sincerity." 

"That right?" 

"Not self-seriousness, but a heart-on-your-sleeve sincerity." 

"I see." 

"You are very contained. Keep your cards close to your vest, which you wear over a suit of armour and, like, 16 other layers of self-protection. All of which, under, finally, is your heart. So, not exactly on your sleeve." 

"Again, not really trying to sell anything." 

"But you do, anyway." 

"She has a point, Old chap." Heather mutters. 

Clint sighs."Yeah, okay, Kate. Um, what am I selling, then, huh? It’s certainly not Halloween costumes or toys off the shelf." Clint says as they arrive at their destination, which happens to be Kate’s office. 

"Inspiration, Clint." Kate stops on her track and gestures at the huge building standing. "The office is here. Shall we meet at the safehouse after work?" 

"Uh, if all goes as planned today, this is gonna be the last time we see each other." Clint states. 

"All you’ve taught me is how to lose a tail and I almost already knew that." Kate complains. 

"I taught you how to bandage a wound. How’s that?" Heather asks. 

"What about trick arrows?" Kate questions. 

"There are no trick arrows, Kate." Clint replies and takes out his phone. "Here, put your phone number in here. For emergencies only. Just go inside. Stay safe."