↳˳⸙ Chapter 5

❝Boat Ride❞

Amaranthine P o V

"Lilian York, Long time no see."

That's what Claude said as he sits on his throne. Face leaning on his hand as he stared at us.

We currently were inside the Emperor's Palace. Facing in front of the King were Me, Lily and Athy, positioned respectively.

"Blessings and Glory upon the Sun of the Obelian Empire."

Lily greeted him as she curtsied to the king. Athy and I were just standing by her side. My sister was trembling at having him in front and looking at them. I, on the other hand was looking at their Father straight on.

My sister was cursing me inwardly as I was wishing for Death by my actions. But I was curious, I wonder what was his past.

The faint gross smell of the magic that I was avoiding for so long, was clinging weakly to his body. Weak, for it wasn't as strong as it was when we met the first time at 9 years old in  Athy's last life.

I really needed to learn more about my magic before our 9th birthday will come. The precautions for the assassination was weak at best as I had no experience in magic at all. It was pure miracle that she even killed the assassin while defending Athy, and consequence was my life in replace for the amount of magic I used.

I inwardly shuddered but what brought my attention back was Claude's words. I didn't even know if I should feel happy or distressed once I realized his words.

"However, from now on, I will be looking into both princesses' well-being. There will be no need to worry."

Then he smiled [smirked, more likely] at us. This made Athanasia internally panic, as she was very distressed from the news. I, on the other hand, just stood frozen in my place as I continued on my stare off with my father. What an lovely bonding they're having.

"Starting today, Princess Athanasia and Princess Amaranthine will be treated as proper princesses."

𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍

Once we were out of the room, Lily immediately hugged both of us. Reassuring that we will be fine, even when she herself is shaking from the fear.

I have a feeling that this will go downhill very quickly. I sure hope not, such stress on this growing body is unhealthy. Well, we have to stay alive.... And live happily this time.

𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍𖤍

A few days passed and our interactions with Claude stayed the same. Athanasia acting all cutesy around Claude at all times. While me, the 'Suicidal Amy' [Quoted by Athy], stayed quiet and acted boldly with the man.

"I think you got a bit chubbier since I last saw you."

"Hehehe, you look pretty too, papa!"

That was my Father and sister's interaction. They meet him 5 days ago so that's a bit absurd. At least that's what Athy is inwardly thinking right now, I was just literally giggling in my spot beside my sister. Aren't I really suicidal?

My little amusement caught Claude's attention as he turned his attention towards me. For some reason, he always see Athanasia first. Is it because she resembles our mom? Or is it because I look and act too much like him? Guess we'll never know.

"Well aren't you happy?"

"Yes I am, Papa. You two are so funny."

"Mhmm. Is that so?"

That's where our conversation ended. Our faces looking too blank that someone wouldn't even think they talking about a happy topic.

***************

'Whoa. They're too similar!!'

That's what the three other people watching them, thought similarly.

 ***************

"Follow me."

Claude ordered as he turned around to walk ahead. There were relieved sighs from all of them, while I was bold and seem ready to die, I'm only testing to how far can I go until I get myself killed.

"I was on my way to the lake. Get ready and join me."

"Your Majesty, I worry the princesses being around the water is.."

Lily immediately tried to change the King's mind. She's really brave to even question him... 'Lily, I promise to set you up with a nice man in the future.', that thought was determinedly said by yours truly.

"What's there to worry about when they're with me?"

"B-but.."

Athy held the skirt of Lily's clothing. Trying to get her to stop, while I waited on what will happen next. There's not really anything dangerous that happened yet, so I kept quiet and watched the events. Athy's feeling betrayed by my nonchalant nature though, judging by the glare that was prodding on the back of my head.

"Don't you want to join me?"

"Yep. Athy wants to go with Papa too!"

The clear disdain on Lily's face as Athanasia accepted Claude's offer was concerning. Should I keep my guard up? What if there was something in the lake? I didn't manage to think further as Father turned his attention towards me.

"Really? What about you"

"Mhm.. I want to go where Papa and Athy are.. Always.."

The atmosphere seemed to turn reposeful in that moment when they heard my answer. So with no further ado, Claude swiftly put us side by side on one seat while he took the other side. Sis seemed relieve for some reason, was she holding her breath or something?

"What are you thinking about?"

I was brought out of my thoughts by Claude's voice again. I'm always in my thoughts this days. He was referring to her sister, who was looking over the boat. She seemed unsure on what to answer for a moment, before ultimately complimenting him again.

"Your hair is sparkly and pretty, Papa! I like sparkly things! Hehehe."

This caused Claude to smirk, making both of us flinch. I seem to know what his going to say.

"That reminds me, you had a jewel pouch with you that day. I kept your treasures safe and sound. Why don't you come and retrieve them yourselves next time?"

This sounds like a total nightmare to Athanasia. But I was just curious and eager on spending time together. This is the only family she got after all, so if given a chance she was going to make sure they will be happy in the end. To which she was given a chance, but did my sister die again and they were transported back to here? What a tragic life they lead so far.

A shuffling sound beside me caught my attention, Athy was leaning unto the side of the boat to reach out for the flower. This made my eyebrows furrow, is that flower a genuine one or a trap?

I turned my head towards Claude, and sure enough, he was watching my sister. Feeling that something bad will transpire, I immediately tried to snap Athanasia out of her actions. But I was too late, she already fell into the water. 

I shouted in alarm, before diving after her body in panic. I did not know how to swim, so this leads us to getting ourselves drowned in the water, struggling to go up. I vividly remember Athanasia calling for help towards Claude but I was dragged down first before I knew what happened next.

***************

I faintly remembered getting my conscious back a little while water. With struggle I opened my eyes slowly, though it was only a slight crack she still saw what's happening.

Claude was holding our soaked bodies. Clear conflict in his eyes when he gazed into our bodies. Then my eyes dropped back down tiredly. I will deal with that expression on his face later.

Then I woke up with start, throwing up water on the ground and coughing painfully. I heaved for breath as my ears struggled to hear for a moment. When I did, Athanasia was crying. I felt blank yet again as my eyes trailed after the disappearing figures of Claude and his guard.

I fainted right after. I'm fainting too much in this single day.

[Author's Note]

Ah finished... Is it bad that Amaranthine isn't really doing anything? I'm just following Athanasia lol. Guess I'll figure it out along the way.