"Ready?" Jonas asked as they stood on the doorstep.

"I'm good; I'm just a little overwhelmed. I have the impression everyone can tell I'm pregnant. I'm ridiculous."

"You're not."

Sierra sighed, "I just hope I behave myself and don't vomit everywhere."

Jonas smiled, "I hope so too. We'll leave if you're not feeling well."

"Nana," Leone yelled, and Rufus barked.

"At least there's an enthusiastic troop among us."

Jonas rang the bell.

"Aw, we're getting worried," Sigrid said when she opened the door.

"Sorry, Sigrid, I was slow to get ready." As usual, Sierra felt she needed to apologize. How cautious could a person be? Sigrid always got the impression Sierra felt obliged to justify herself when there was no need.

"You're not late. We just wanted everyone to be here already. We're still waiting for Lars."

"Guess some things never change," Jonas said and entered.

A heatwave of smells hit their nostrils as laughter coming from the living room exploded in their ears.

Leone quickly wiggled out of his father's and was about to make a run for it when his father grabbed him, "oy, you little rascal, let me take your coat off first."

Sierra took hers off too and looked down at her stomach. She chose to wear an oversize white turtleneck and jeans. The outfit wasn't very flattering, but at least it camouflaged.

Leone ran off to find his cousins, who whisked him off to a world of adventures under the tables and behind the furniture. Sierra and Jonas entered the living room.

"Ah, finally," yelled Jonas' father. The room was transformed for the occasion with a long dining table already garnished with dishes but what captured Sierras' attention was the tree, almost invisible by the pile of presents.

"Sierra, are you okay?" Jonas asked.

It was a dream come true for Sierra, who spent her youth envying the Christmas parties she saw in sitcoms. How many times she had wished to live the same joy as the families on tv. Christmas with her father was one where they went to mess; the Christmas tree was a plastic one they brought out every year. Sierra still remembered how she would unfold each branch.

As an adult living alone, she didn't even bother buying one, just as she didn't go to mess. The tradition died with her father, and none of Jacob's words made her wish to celebrate.

During the whole month, Sierra tried to partake in the festivities of their first Christmas together as a family, but she lacked the spirit until this very instant.

There, the tree, like the one in Jonas' apartment, was natural and enormous. It reminded the ones in the tv series. In true Swedish style, the presents were not wrapped in shimmering blink-blink wrapping paper but sober white, pastel color, see kraft paper. Nevertheless, the whole warmed Sierra's heart as she realized once more that her family was no longer limited to Jacob.

"Sierra, come and sit next to me," Anders said before anyone else called her. The older man was fond of his new daughter-in-law and wished she would unwind like the rest of his son's spouses.

"What do you want to drink, Sierra. You've got Snapps and Glögg?"Joshua said.

"Eh," Sierra looked at Jonas, who still greeted everyone else, "I'll-."

"Try the glögg," Joshua's wife urged.

"I'll do that."

Sierra prayed no one would wait to see her drink. Luckily Jonas arrived and gulped down her glass before anyone realized. The evening pursued different conversations, and Jonas drank Sierras' glasses. At eight, the man's cheeks flushed pink, and his nose beamed Rudolph, the red nose reindeer style, as they sat to eat.