Chapter 20-Truths

Andreas

"We meet again little Reaper," a harsh chuckle sounds behind me, while the sharp edge of a blade makes contact with the back of my neck.

"Now go in slowly, I have business with both you and the owner of this hut."

With no other choice, I raise my unarmed hands and step into the cabin. Helplessly, I watch Tara's unusually pale face turn white as a sheet. The figure next to her frail form, stares in silent anger as Queen Ivena pushes me on through.

"Restrain him girls if you would be so kind," Ivena drawls, removing her blade in favor of watching my arms being wrenched behind me and forced to my knees on the unforgiving floor.

I feel the weight of the metal cuffs clamping my wrists, as the blue haired woman from last night bends down and tilts my head up with a single finger.

"Ah, I see you figured out how to conceal your powers," she says, examining me with meticulous intent.

"How did you do that I wonder?"

"Obviously the Ghost told him how Marishka," my other handler cuts in.

"But that would mean they'd have to get along."

The other woman from last night joins the other, looking me up and down like a prized horse. It is obvious they are related, with their shared soft features and dark brown eyes. Fascination shows in their depths, while those of the Queen flare with unnerving triumph.

"You have no business here Majesty," the masked individual seethes, leaping to their feet and heading straight for Ivena with violence evident on their face.

"That is where you are wrong Jace," Ivena replies, stopping the mage with the point of her slim sword.

"I came here for one thing and one thing only."

Turning her gaze away from Jace, her hawk-like eyes turn not to me, but a frightened Tara slowly sliding as far as she can to the other side of the couch. I watch this quick witted and sharp girl crumble into a shaking shell with fear in her emerald eyes. A fear that I know all too well. The knowledge that the trap you've run from for so long, will now close its lethal jaws around your soul. I can't let that happen, I have suffered such horrors and I will not be silent and let that happen to anyone else.

"Leave her alone you murderer," I breathe out, bringing the infernal pirate's gaze towards me.

"We have unfinished business, you and I."

"Oh really?" Ivena replies with a derisive chuckle, removing her sword from Jac's neck.

"If that is what you wish I will need to know who exactly I'm dealing with. But I wouldn't worry about the girl if I were you, I mean her no harm. However, you are another matter altogether."

I expected the blow, my head jerking back from the force of her slap. Only the harsh grips of her accomplices kept me from hitting the ground. What I did not expect was for her to yank the mask off my face, the strings snapping like weak kindling. Tenuous silence fills the cabin, accompanied only by the sound of leather connecting with the floorboards.

The disdain on the Queen's face shatters, replaced by shock that is worse than her menacing smile. Except, that does not compare to the horrified betrayal in Tara's eyes. Something breaks in me when I see the first of many tears drip down her cheeks.

"No, no!" She cries, scrambling off the couch with wobbly legs.

"You're not him, tell me you're not."

"It is best to answer boy," the Queen says, her voice empty of any spark of emotion.

"Or I shall dispense on you all the grief your father has dealt to me."