Chapter 3-A Party for Thieves

Tara

Never was I so relieved to see the dingy form of the Coal Inn, than today. Even though I thought those fools had given up their search for me, I was wrong. After running from that alley as if a demon was after me, I stopped to catch my breath when I was sure I was safe. I was wrong, in the alley I saw soldiers walking down the main streets of the Quarter. Damn I thought, why couldn't they just let me have one good day.

Thanks to the increase in patrolmen, it took me longer than the usual half hour's walk to the inn. By the time I entered through the main door, the hands of the old clock pointed to one. My legs ache from having to scale the walls of buildings without my hook. Knowing my luck, one of them would see the rope dangling attached to nothing but air.

The room is packed full of people, the tables filled with the usual crowd of sailors, hardened thugs, and thieves. The tavern boasts two long tables on either side of the room. Between them, is an open space designated for dancing, dangerous stunts, and mind boggling tricks. The long bar to my right, boasts a variety of bottles filled with beer, ale, and whiskey. All of them lined neatly on wooden shelves nailed into the wall.

The door next to them, leads into the kitchen filled with the smell of baking bread, roasting meat, and steaming soup. Small circular tables fill up the rest of the room, a few playing host to games of chance, cards, and dice.

A set of stairs to my left leads up to the balcony above. A balcony that wraps its way around the room, a perfect way to view the goings on from a safe distance. The stage is situated opposite of the bar, though it's nothing more than a raised wooden platform in front of the stone fireplace. Sharing the same wall is a door that leads into a small hallway, one that few are allowed to enter.

Walking across the scuffed floor, I find a seat at the bar, far away from one very drunk and loud sailor. As soon as I sit down my body is jarred into a crushing hug. Laughing, I slide easily out of my captor's hold. Turning, I face a girl with green eyes and frizzy red hair.

"Tara were the hell ya been? Miss Cole was about to send someone after you. She was so worried that she almost decided to send Jarvis to find your sorry neck," she scolds in a fake stern tone.

"Relax Jade," I say, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"I just had to take longer to avoid all those damn metal heads, that's all."

Huffing a sigh, she looks me up and down as if to see if my head is still screwed on right.

"Well at least you're here now," she replies with a huff.

"Come on, let's get you dressed into something that hasn't been dragged through the mud."

Grabbing my hand, we head to the other side of the tavern to the hallway, with a set of stairs leading to the series of rooms above. Jade pulls me so hard I fear my arm will come out of its socket. Going up the stairs, I take in the dark wood of the walls and ceiling, the old brass wall sconces glow dimly on either side.

The boards are old but still strong, though I can hear the creaks and groans of the steps beneath my feet. Reaching the top, we go to the first door at the beginning of the hall. The door protests as we enter into a room, one that we share with two other girls who are most likely out making trouble as usual.

The room holds only enough space for the four lumpy cots on the floor, an old battered trunk holds our supply of clothing and a small washstand beside it. On the walls are hooks and shelves holding coats, boots, and personal items all cluttered together in the limited space. The only light in the room comes from two thin candles on the wall, small runnels of wax dripping down their sides.