Chapter 14-Unusual Allies

Andreas

Never in my life have I wished to rid myself of the silver tongue I inherited from my mother. Until now, with a bar full of thieves, murderers, and a gang lord sizing me up as if to string me from the rafters.

"A lovely speech, highness," Miss Cole drawls.

Her boots tapping on the floor as she walks over to me. I slightly flinch, and press my arms against my sides as she presses the lock pick under my chin to tilt my head up, glancing down I notice a familiar symbol edge onto the metal tube on her belt. An idea flares in my head while she continues her assessment.

"You truly are Lisia Akra's son."

The mention of my mother's name is like a punch to the gut. It has been years since I heard it spoken with reverence, and not fake pity.

"Yes indeed Madame," I reply, fisting my hands at my side as she examines me like a prized horse.

"Tell me, what use are you to me?" Miss Cole asks.

"Besides a quick way to set myself up for life."

Her gray eyes peer up at me with a knowing look, of course her first thoughts would be to ransom me to my father. Me being his only known heir just raises the amount even higher. Though, I wonder if he would wish for me back if such a thing did occur?

"I know that tube at your belt is not any old map canister," I say, making her eyes switch from me to the tube.

"I've been wondering that myself, little prince," she replies, slowly looking over my shoulder to gaze at Tara behind me.

"It seems my workers have forgotten to mention that to me. Of course they did complete the original assignment I had for them, although they did leave out that lovely kernel of information."

Miss Cole cocks her head to the side, gaging Tara's reaction that I long to turn and see. Seeming satisfied with her assessment, Miss Cole again turns to me with those same flinty eyes.

"However, I will let it slide just this once if you can tell me what my darlings have collected," she says, with a tone so kind that it makes me cringe.

I lick my lips and debate whether I should tell her. In my head, I know my answer will start something that will set us all on a path for destruction. If I don't however, Miss Cole will without a doubt cause harm to Tara and her band of cohorts. A thought that stirs something deep within my heart. Something dark and hidden, a secret wish long forgotten but still nurtured. I don't think twice about my decision, for I know it's the right one.

"The canister bears the wounded lion, the kingdom's royal seal," I begin, forcing a sharp intake of breath from Tara.

"Therefore, there is only one set of maps that would require such a seal. The layout of the castle and its grounds, but more importantly the detailed schematics of the ballroom. Including all of its entrances and exits, information vital to stage a robbery, a coup, or an assassination."

"If I were you Madame, I would assume that in this tumultuous time that there is only one possible reason for them to acquire this specific map."

Miss Cole's eyes spark with anger and if I saw correctly, a flash of fear. Suddenly, she yanks the pin from my chin, bumping her shoulder against mine as she walks past, the impact making me stumble forward and into her enforcers' waiting grasps.The tall dark man and lithe tan woman, roughly turn me around just as Miss Cole slaps Tara across the face.