Chapter 6: It's getting emotional

After a few minutes, the shock had worn off.

"A-Anyway, let's eat before the food gets cold! If there's any food you don't like, you don't have to force yourself to eat it," Fuyumi says quickly, sensing the tension between Endeavor and Natsuo.

"R-Right! Thank you for the food!" Midoriya responds, trying to ease the awkwardness.

Fuyumi then turns to the kids from the future.

"How old are you, my dears?"

"15," Shosuke and Itsuki answer simultaneously.

"I'm 18," Hato replies.

"How old are you?" Natsuo asks his daughter, trying not to seem weird, because, well, she's his daughter from the future!

"I'm 16, Dad," Setsuko smiles at him.

Meanwhile, Midoriya and Itsuki are analyzing the food, and Bakugou yells at them for it.

"Of course, it's good. Ever since the housekeeper had to retire because of a back injury, she's been doing all the cooking," Natsuo explains.

"I see," Midoriya responds politely.

"Natsu, you cooked too, remember? We took turns," Fuyumi interjects.

Setsuko bursts out laughing. "Dad, cooking? Please, the last time he tried, he almost burned the kitchen down! Papa was scolding him for an hour and banned him from the kitchen!"

Natsuo feels himself blush in embarrassment. "Stop laughing!"

Setsuko laughs even more at her father's expense.

"Oh, so I ate your food too?" Shoto asks after Hato silences Setsuko by gently whacking her over the head.

"Oh, I'm not sure," Natsuo responds while worriedly checking on his daughter. "My food was heavily seasoned, so Endeavor might've stopped you, saying 'Don't eat stuff like this,'" Natsuo glares at his father.

"I didn't even realize," is all Endeavor says, his tone nonchalant.

"Sh-Shoto, what kind of food do you eat at school?" Fuyumi desperately tries to change the subject.

"Cafeteria food," Shoto starts to answer, but Endeavor interrupts.

"Next time, I want to eat Natsuo's cooking too," he declares, but Natsuo's reaction is immediate.

Natsuo gets up, taking his empty bowl with him. "Thanks for the meal. I came. That's enough, right?" He heads for the door, ignoring Fuyumi's call after him.

"Sorry, Sis. I can't do this," Natsuo says as he leaves, leaving Setsuko with a sad expression on her face.

After they finish eating, Endeavor takes charge of washing the dishes. Midoriya and Bakugou help by bringing the dishes to the kitchen, while Shoto, Fuyumi, and the Todoroki cousins clean up the dining room.

"I feel bad making Midoriya and Bakugou help clean up," Fuyumi says while wiping the table.

"It'd be worse if you didn't let them help," Shoto remarks.

"It's not like I never feel like Natsu," Fuyumi admits, surprising Shoto with her honesty.

"Now's our chance. What do you think about Dad, Shoto?" Fuyumi asks him.

"I think of this scar as being from him," Shoto answers after a moment of contemplation. Itsuki and Shosuke each take one of their father's hands, offering comforting smiles.

"Mom endured it... endured it until she couldn't anymore. He ruined her. I can't forgive him so easily. But you know, Mom's trying to overcome this herself right now," Shoto says, his voice tinged with emotion. Itsuki wipes away a tear and hugs her father tightly.

"It'll get better, Dad, we promise."

"Thank you two," Shoto replies with a small smile before continuing, "Honestly, I don't know myself what I want to do yet. I still don't know how to feel about the old man..."

"You people..." Bakugou snarls angrily as he opens the door. "If you're gonna invite people over, don't talk about sensitive subjects! There are still dishes to be washed!"

"Oh, no! I'm so sorry, it just came out..." Fuyumi apologizes profusely.

"Oh, um, we've heard about the situation from Todoroki!" Midoriya nervously explains.

"Normally, you'd think getting invited over for dinner is a good thing! The Sichuan mapo tofu's ruined!" Bakugou grumbles while collecting more dishes.

"I'm sorry, we overheard..." Midoriya apologizes as he also gathers more dishes. Then he turns to Shoto, who had stood up.

"Todoroki-kun. I think you're getting ready so you can forgive him."

Shoto's eyes widen at that. "Huh?"

"If you really hate your dad, then I think it's fine to not be able to forgive him. But you're really a kind person, so it looks to me like you're waiting. I'm sure that's the phase you're in right now," Midoriya says. Shoto can't help himself; he surges forward and kisses him.

Fuyumi gasps, and the twins fist bump while smiling triumphantly.

After a few seconds, Shoto pulls back and smiles softly at the green-haired boy. "Thank you, Izuku."

With that, Shoto leaves to bring more dirty dishes to the kitchen, leaving a blushing Midoriya behind.

Midoriya touches his lips, where Shoto just kissed him. Shoto just kissed him! And Izuku was so shocked that he forgot to kiss back!