Hope

Hoseok sighed.

He had written a lot about his mother's passing and how Yoongi had helped him go through with. As he read his own words again, he decided to erase them.

It had happened a long time ago, and even though he still missed her, he didn't want to be confronted to the raw feelings he had experienced back then.

A sigh of relief left his mouth as he pressed the delete key.
He still had a little more to correct before he could hand the assignment back.

He looked at his phone, he had one hour before having to leave the apartment.

When one experienced loss, it always makes one's friendships shine. It it indeed in hard times that we discover who cares for us.
And how did August care for Hoseok.

He constantly supported him, in every aspect. Working in the farm, cooking their meals, being emotionally available, he did it all.
He even welcomed Hobi in his own house when it became too hard to continue living in his own.

Hobi was in too much pain to realize how much August would give to help him. After all, Hobi had been the one who gave August his smile back. He was the one who had showed August he didn't need to live in loneliness anymore.

As everything eventually does, the pain diminished. A slow yet necessary process.

"Hobi?" asked August.
"Hum?" he replied.

August had waited some years, wondering when would be the right time to talk to Hobi about this. It was a cold evening, and August had decided to take his chance now.

"Have you noticed something lately?" asked August.

Hobi frowned.

It had been a few months, wait, how much time had passed since his mother had passed away? Hobi had lost track of time. In any case, he had said noticed anything unusual.

"Not really" he replied, still confused about the timeline.
"Have you been having trouble with time?" asked August.
"How did you read my mind?" asked Hobi, in shock.
"Cause I can see you're a bit lost lately" said August. "Just like I was."

"You're getting me confused" said Hoby, laying his back on the chair.
"I've had suspicions for a while, but these days, it became clearer" he continued.
"I'm sorry Gust, I still don't get it" repeated Hobi.

August sighed. He had to choose his words very carefully.

"Remember when your mother wanted to tell you about your father?" he asked, not waiting for an answer. "At first, I hadn't linked this to anything, but when she became sick with a contagious disease, I did."
"You linked this secret about my father with my mother's sickness?" asked Hobi.

"No, I'm talking about you" added August. "You didn't catch the disease."
"Yeah, I was lucky" said Hobi.
"Trust me, I tried not to get my hopes too up. But there's something else" he said. "You're confused with time lately. That's a solid proof."

"Proof of what?" asked Hobi, tired of not understanding.
"Proof that you ARE like me" said August.

Instantly, the kitchen became silent.
Hobi's brain was working extremely fast, trying to connect every dot he could.

August let him, he knew how big it was to take in.
After a few minutes, Hobi closed his eyes.

"How long ago has she left us?" asked Hobi, in a trembling whisper.
"Two years and four months" said August.
"What?" instantly replied Hobi. "How?"