Chapter 14

Fear gripped Skyler in its harsh, cruel hands. Its long, ice-cold fingers squeezed painfully around his heart. The feel of the rapid organ beating against his ribs accompanied by the sound of blood rushing in his ears made him uneasy.

He knew that voice.

It was the very same voice that would whisper sweet nothings into his reddened ears as he fought sleep from overtaking him in its blissful void. The very same voice that would murmur words of comfort when he was overwhelmed. The deep voice that would fill with so much pride and love along each confidence-boosting praise directed to him.

Yet he was scared. He was afraid that once he looked up, the man he'd been yearning to hold since the day he'd walked out on him, would prove to be nothing but a fragment of his longing imagination.

The thought had his empty stomach-churning. Skyler wasn't sure how he'd survive if his eyes were to scan the busy campus grounds and find the owner of the beautiful voice absent.

Amber green eyes hesitantly looked in the direction where the owner of the voice had addressed him from. And God if gut-wrenching sobs didn't threaten to tear from his throat.

When amber clashed with onyx, Elias' cold expression softened, providing Skyler an invitation to rush into the man's unsuspecting arms.

The taller male let out a surprised grunt when the force of his mate's body crashed into his, "Easy there, baby."

Skyler knew he was overstepping the invisible-but-there boundaries that Elias had placed between them. He knew he no longer had the right to touch the man he loved before getting the confirmation that he was alright with it. But that wasn't enough to stop him from tangling Elias in a mess of fiery red curls and long pale limbs.

Skyler nuzzled his face into the dip where his mate's neck connected with his broad shoulders, and deeply inhaled his intoxicating scent.

Though caught off guard, Elias recovered fast and wound one arm around Skyler's waist and the other cupped the back of his head. He felt the velvety texture of curls beneath his palm as he pulled his boy's head further into the crook of his neck.

After a short while, the tension tightening Skyler's lean muscles started seeping as he was held firmly against his mate's body.

"I-What are you doing here?"

Forest eyes searched copper ones as Skyler hesitantly questioned. He'd removed his head from where it'd been nestled, yet his arms were still tight around Elias' waist.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay."

Skyler couldn't hide his surprise at the honest admission. He'd been expecting Elias to give him a half-assed reason and quickly push the topic aside, yet he hadn't.

"I missed you."

And while Elias had assured him he'd missed him too, the adrenaline was starting to wear off, and the boy was becoming painfully aware of how anxious he was.

Standing before him was a man who owned a piece of his heart. A man whose soul connected with his to create a whole. A man whose trust he'd broken beyond repair. A man who he'd hurt with each careless accusation.

Yet all Skyler could detect was love and adoration in his mate's eyes. No hints of the ugly red hues of resentment were present in his irises.

"Why?"

Elias hummed in question, and Skyler had to block a groan of frustration rumbling in his throat, "You're still mad." he pointed out.

"I am." The raven-haired man chuckled at his mate's annoyed expression, "Not at you... Or Felix."