Chapter 8

The silence was deafening, the ringing in Skyler's ears was louder than ever, feeding his stress-induced headache. The boy was refusing to look up from where his eyes were firmly glued to his white socks.

Bennett was biting his nails, surely messing up his fresh manicure. The boy was feeling too much at the moment, and he needed a break to manage his emotions. He needed Skyler to be away so he could properly wrap his head around the newfound information, however, asking his mate to leave was off the table.

Not being able to handle Soren's panicked whines any longer, Skyler desperately tried to talk to his mate. "I-I know you're upset, b-but please just try to understand."

Bennett rolled his blue eyes in annoyance, "Understand what exactly?" He rhetorically questioned, "That you hid our mate from me- us?"

"S-Stop saying it like that, we had to!"

"We?" The shorter male cried out, "Who's we?"

With a shuttering intake of breath, Skyler timidly answers. "Felix and I."

"Wow."

Skyler's eyes were now filled with tears. He hadn't been expecting this, he had been caught unprepared and was now digging a deeper hole for both him and his mate. If only Felix were here, he'd know exactly how to handle this situation. But no, he and Eli were on a much-needed date night.

"L-Look everything just... We- please Ben, don't be mad." The boy's tone was now staggering on pleading and whiny, not knowing what to say and finding himself unable to get his words out.

"You were with them tonight." The boy's blonde eyebrows scrunched in confusion, "So you lied about being with Orion?"

This was another blow that had Bennett's mind stuck in a whirlwind. Not only had they left this one very important information that concerned two other people to themselves, but his mate had also lied, hopefully for the first time, about his whereabouts. And dammit did it sting.

"N-No."

"You were with Orion... And our mate- together?" Bennett's voice was now shaking. "I don't understand, Sky."

"He- Harper, needed my help and they came with me." Bennett failed to notice his mate's name being blurted out, however, Benedict didn't miss it. The wolf was agitated as well yet, the newfound information about his mate put his frustration at ease. For a moment at least.

"So Orion met my mate before me."

"Why are you... Stop wording it like that!"

"You have no right to be defensive. You and Felix hid our mate from us."

"You don't understand." Skyler sobbed out, covering his red face with his shaking hands.

"You're not doing anything to help me understand!" Though Bennett's resolve was breaking each time a tear spilled from his mate's green eyes. Benedict was now growling at his human, urging him to comfort Skyler.

"I'm sorry." They weren't going to get anywhere like this, Skyler was too anxious and Bennett was too upset.

Skyler jolted in surprise when he felt two slender arms wrap around his waist. Looking down he saw the well-maintained blonde-haired head snuggling into his shoulder.

"I'm really upset right now, but that doesn't mean I enjoy seeing you distressed." The blonde muttered, "Calm down, then you can tell me what the hell is going on."

It only took a moment for Skyler to calm down, the mate bond working its magic. Soren feeling safer, helped Skyler manage his emotions a bit better. The amber-eyed boy slightly pulled away.