Chapter 9

The cluttering of kitchenware added to the already awkward atmosphere making it unbearable for the four men.

Elias' onyx eyes were bouncing from one mate to another, confusedly scanning them. Skyler was jittery in his seat, not being able to swallow his food over the lump that had grown and evidently gotten stuck in his throat. Bennett was sending brutal glares to both Skyler and Felix, the latter maintaining his calm exterior.

Bennett, after last night's revelation and hours of sleepless shuffling in the guest bed, found that his repressed anger had resurfaced after seeing Felix's annoying face.

"Okay, what's going on?"

Bennett growled as he pointed the steak knife tightly clutched in his hand to his mates, he tip of the sharp utensil switching between Skyler and Felix's direction. "Ask them."

His vulnerability from the previous night was gone and frustration was all that was left. Bennett was frustrated about many things, like how his mates had kept Harper a secret from him and Elias, and how he was about to prove them right with his inability to keep his snide remarks to himself.

Before Elias could question the blonde more, Felix abruptly stood from his seat, the force pushing his chair back. Abandoning his food, he gestured for Bennett to follow him to their room.

Skyler watched them leave the kitchen with distant eyes, the guilt swarming in his pretty greens confusing Elias all the more.

"Uh... What just happened?"

For a moment, the amber-eyed boy failed to notice his mate addressing him, though once he did, he shook himself out of his daze and glanced over at Elias. The man's expression had shifted from confusion to frustration that only seemed to spike as Skyler absentmindedly shook his head, dismissing the man.

"Great. You're leaving me out of this?"

Skyler raised his ginger eyebrows in surprise, "No." and denied quickly.

"You better not, Sky." The man had scrunched his dark, well-shaped eyebrows. The hairs set to perfection with his eyebrow gel. "It won't end well for any of us."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm sure you'll find out soon," Elias spoke so sure of himself that Skyler winced. Elias knew that something was going on, and he knew that he was going to find out about it in a way that would damage their relationship unrepairable.

The raven-haired man sent a not-so-pleasant smile to his mate, then stood up from the table and with hurried movements left the apartment. He had made plans with his mother to go to a ballet performance that the man had absolutely been dreading. And the events of their dinner had put salt on his already sour mood.

Being left out on things in a poly relationship was a horrible feeling. And although the concept of privacy was still very important, problems surrounding the relationship inevitably involved all of them and should be discussed altogether.

After the door of their apartment slammed shut, which was not a show of attitude, Skyler sank into his seat, pressing a hand over his forehead. The boy took a moment to calm his nerves before he slowly walked over to Felix's office.

The room was dimly lit by the yellow lights in the cozy room, in the center where a large Chester couch was placed, sat Felix and Bennett. The latter had big tears trekking down his reddened cheeks and small sniffles racking his body.

"I-I'm sorry."

"Don't be, love. You acted in frustration and I'm sure it won't happen again, hm?" Felix softly questioned as he pushed a blond loc behind the boy's red ears.