Chapter 25: The Creme Brulee

After a difficult round where the contestants had to prepare a dish in just 45 minutes, and after Si's impulsive interference, the meals and the contestants were again brought in front of the judges. Meiling was frustrated with her brother's behavior and she swore to herself that when they will get back home she will for sure shave his eyebrows.

After tasting and talking, the judges arrived at Shancai's dish. They started to eat and analyze the meal, from color, to taste, to smell. Everything. 

"May I ask what this is?" Lihua asked curious.

"This is Eight Treasure Spicy Noodles" Shancai asked honestly shocking Meiling. The older was shocked of the girl's choice. The dish was very common, any one was able to make it, and it wasn't hard to make either. But Meiling was also confused about the dish, because something about it tasted different.

When they heard the words of their little friend, Meizuo and Ximen started to laugh, angering Doaming Si. "Hey! Why are you laughing? Didn't they tell her to make a famous hometown dish?" Si asked confused as he also noticed his sister's shocked and confused expression.

"Because Eight Treasure Spicy Noodles is too common." Lei explained to him.

After some time Jingmei put her tools down and smiled towards Shancai. "Why did you think of making this dish? Are you from Shanghai?" Shancai nodded quickly.

"Yes. I grew up in Shanghai. Every time I got sick and had no appetite I would gain my appetite back after I would eat some noodles." Shancai explained with an innocent smile on her face.

"However, the other contestants prepared some really difficult and impressive dishes that are hard to make. Yet you made this snack. Are you not afraid of losing?" Jingmei asked innocently.

"I am. Of course I am. But I feel that regardless if it's a hard or easy dish, it would be able to rise up to the challenge as long as it's unique in quality." Shancai explained confidently.

Meiling decided to help the girl rise a little in the judges eyes. "Miss Shancai, I've noticed that this dish doesn't have the same taste as the original dish. Have you put some special things that gave the meal this unique flavor?" Meiling asked curious as everybody's attention turned to the younger girl.

"I added some pineapple." Shancai said and everybody looked at her surprised.

"Pineapple?" Jingmei asked surprised as she looked at Meiling. "How did you think of that?" Jingmei asked and Meiling was trying so hard to not laugh at the irony of the situation. For sure, her brother was a huge source of inspiration for Shancai. 

"Based on my personal experiences." Shancai answered vaguely and Meiling just smiled at the words.

"Apparently, Miss Shancai's experiences are different from others. Maybe someone in her family plants pineapples." Jinbao joked and all the judges laughed.

"Since all the rounds are over and we are approaching the end of this contest, can we have our judge Doaming Meiling come to the stage to tell our contestants a word and announce the winner?" The moderator asked and Meiling stood up as the crowd applauded and cheered. Lei looked after her, watching how she was moving with grace as the long dress was cascading on her figure. Meiling walked on the stage as the crowd grew silent. The moderator gave her the mic and let her have her moment.

Meiling looked at the crowd, seeing their looks filled with expectation. Her eyes then fell on her friends. Meizuo and Ximen were smiling wide while looking at her. Si was having a boyish smile as his eyes showed pride and happiness as he showed her a thumb up. When Lei's and Meiling's eyes locked she could feel these huge intensity in them. The intensity that was calming her, telling her that she can do it and that she should go for it. Meiling straightened her pose, sighed and looked at the crowd with a perfect smile.