And The Winner Is... (What Happened At The Academy Awards 1)

Start from the beginning

Doris wore a tight, satin dress, its white color seeming like it was sparkling in the flashing lights of the cameras. Her hands and underarms were covered in Victorian Esque white gloves and over the right one was a gorgeous shiny diamond engagement ring. Martin Melcher was truly lucky to have the one gorgeous, sincere and happy woman in Hollywood, openly by his side.

Instead of a hug they went for an air kiss, but Doris lingered at her cheek whispering softly,

"How's your wife, my dear."

Wife. Janis smiled. The sound of it was surreal. Her heart made a flutter yet she still looked around cautiously, checking if anyone could hear them.

"She's great. Probably running around the house, waiting for the broadcast to start, going through all the possible scenarios that could happen tonight"

They both chuckled.

"Sounds just like her."

Doris was one of the four other people in Hollywood who knew about Cadys and her relationship. Martin barged in as Janis was about to tell her, Betty who figured it out herself after having dinner at Janis' and Cady's house several times and Damian who sometimes knew more about her life than she did.

Oh how much she wished she could be here with Cady, hold her close and kiss her if her name gets called eventually.

However Damian found the courage to even plan his coming out was a mystery to her, considering the publishing of a book about gay people got someone almost killed.

Her mind drifted off and Janis just slowly followed Doris through the halls, their arms linked as they exchanged fake smiles with former colleagues and almost familiar faces.

The Pantages Theater was gorgeous. A big chandelier was hanging off the ceiling with dozens of warm lights, dimly illuminating the room. The ceiling was painted in blue and golden tones, matching the pillars, towering at the walls. Rows upon rows of still partly empty red cushioned seats were filling the room and a big stage, with a podium and a table of Oscars in the background. The golden awards were shining in the dim lights and Janis couldn't help but smile wildly.

I did it. she thought as the overwhelming feeling of pride suddenly hit her.

"One of them will be yours after tonight." Doris whispered, giving her shoulder a little squeeze.

"You think?"

"Yes. And if not, you're the winner of our hearts."

Janis raised an eyebrow. "'Our' as in..."

"The people who matter, dear." Again, the dashing smile which lit up Hollywood. The smile which always brought hope to the people who needed it.

"Thanks Doris." Janis told her friend sincerely. "See you later?"

"You think I'll drink my award show martini alone?" She chuckled as she turned. "See you at the afterparty, darling"

And there she went. Her hips swayed elegantly as she approached a group of other front runners while Janis struggled to find her seat at the back. God if she'd really win that Oscar she'd have to run to get it that's for sure.

Other people eventually settled in and the room was filled with actors, producers, directors and the most influential names of the Hollywood industry.

Now, alone in a room full of people she felt this gut wrenching feeling of anxiety inside her.

She didn't belong here, she shouldn't be here, She didn't deserve this... She should go home. Back home to her wife who would hold her close, stroke her hair and would tell her that everything's okay.She sagged inside her seat as bits and pieces of the early morning flashed before her eyes.