I'm Coming Home

AU: Cady is a Doctor at the US Army and is coming home after 11 months of deployment. 

Did I watch too many "Emotional soldiers coming home compilations"? Yes. Do I have any idea how the military works? No. just the few things I googled. Pls don't hate me for getting certain things wrong. I respect everyone who is and was in the military, my dad was too, I just don't know much about it. this is not to disrespect them in any way I literally just watched too many compilations xD

Janis was sitting on the couch watching Treasure Planet on TV while absentmindedly stroking Amelias hair. Her daughter was sitting on her lap with her head placed on Janis chest, not even paying attention to the Disney movie which was playing.

Her eighth birthday was coming up, and Cady wasn't there to celebrate with them. To celebrate any special occasion in the year. No family Christmas, no birthdays, nothing. It was frustrating and every time, Janis and Amelia fell into a melancholic stage, missing Cady more and more with every day which passed.

Pretty early on Cady knew that she wanted to serve as a military doctor, which was one of the things Janis admired about her but was also very worried about. The constant fear of her not coming back home was always a problem. And even though Cady always encouraged her saying that everything will be fine, it still didn't sit right with Janis. She still did her HPSP and was now serving her last year of the four years she was obligated to serve. Their deal was for Cady to end it after those four years at least for Amelias sake who slowly started to catch on how dangerous her moms profession really was. Considering that Cady was one of the best students in her year it wouldn't be too hard for her to find a new job at a local hospital. But for now Janis and Amelia were alone waiting for her return.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, baby?"

"When is Mom coming back home?"

Janis sighed, tightening her grip around the little girl. "I don't know honey.. I wish I did.."

"But she will come back, right?"

"Of course." Janis whispered as she planted a little kiss on the top of Amelias head. "She always does."

Janis fought with her tears. She knew that Amelia was scared, she knew how much she missed her. She did too. And not knowing if she's really going to make it as slowly but surely eating her up inside. She thought she's going to get used to it eventually, but she didn't. The house always felt so big when she was gone, the bed they were normally sharing was way too cold and there was always the empty stool at the eating table reminding them of her absence.

"But what if she doesn't?"

"She will. Your mom is strong, She'll come back and everything will be fine."

"You sure?"

No. "Yes. And next year you'll never have to say goodbye to her ever again."

"But I don't wanna wait until next year."

"I know baby, me neither..." Janis grip around Amelia tightened again as she silently cried into her shoulder. It wasn't the first time they had this conversation, but every time it was crushing her all over again.

After a couple of hours Amelia finally fell asleep in Janis arms, her slow and even breaths slightly tickling on her skin. She smiled as she brushed a strand of her auburn hair out of her face. Amelia was the person who gave her the most comfort during the times Cady wasn't with them. Every time she looked at her it was just like looking at Cady. The way she always looked back at her with her big, innocent, crystal blue eyes and the way she smiled at Janis were just as beautiful and adorable as when Cady did it. Her existence alone gave her the strength to keep going and she will always be grateful for that. 

She watched Amelia sleep for a few minutes before she turned off the TV and started to carry her upstairs, careful not to wake her. She tucked her into bed as always putting the thick blanket over her small body, placing her favorite lion plush animal beside her and put on the little dinosaur night light. Originally it was a Christmas present from Cady for Janis, but Amelia was always so fascinated by it, so she gave it to her. She gave her a light kiss on the forehead and went out of the room making her way to her bedroom.

---------------------

Janis was rudely awoken by her daughter jumping up and down on her bed screaming at her.

"MOMMY MOMMY WAKE UP!!!"

"No."

"YES!"

"No."

"YES!"

"Amelia." Janis pulled Amelia down beside her hugging the giggling bundle of energy tightly. "Sleep."

"But mommy I have a surprise for you..." Amelia sighed, growing a little frustrated because of Janis grumpiness that morning.

Janis groaned into her pillow before she started to slowly stand up. "Fine. I'm coming"

"YAY!" Before Janis knew it the seven year old grabbed her wrist, and started dragging her still tired body out of the room. As they were making their way downstairs suddenly the smell of freshly made coffee intensified and Janis started to grow a little worried.

"Amelia, honey did you make coffee?" She asked looking suspiciously down at her.

"Nooo. I didn't." Amelia giggled as if it was obvious and kept dragging Janis into the direction of the living room. What the fuck is going on?

Just before they entered the living room Amelia let go of her wrist and started running "COME ON!"

Janis was scared at this point. Amelia either did something really stupid and tried to hide it or... well nothing else really came to Janis mind in that moment, so she cautiously peaked through the door into the living room, prepared for a total mess until she saw a way too familiar figure crouched down so that she was on eye level with Amelia hugging her tight. She had long thick auburn locks, pale freckled skin and big beautiful eyes.

'Cady' Janis froze, unable to process what's happening. Her wife who had been gone for almost a year, casually stood in their living room grinning back at Janis, holding their overly excited daughter in her arms.

She gently pulled away from Amelia as she asked "Will you give me a second to say hi to mommy?"

Amelia nodded enthusiastically taking a step back and Cady started walking towards Janis, ready to give her a long awaited hug. But that didn't go quick enough for Janis so she sprinted up to her the rest of the way and wrapped her arms around Cadys waist, lifting her slightly off the ground. Cady responded just as enthusiastically as she put her arms around Janis neck, burying her face into it, taking in her calming and intoxicating scent. After a moment Janis let Cady down, tangling one hand into her soft hair.

"Hey you." Her voice cracked a little as tears of happiness made their way down her cheeks.

"Hi." Cady mumbled equally excited to see her wife again after eleven dreadfully long months.

"I missed you so much." And before Cady could even answer Janis pulled away the tiniest bit just to press her lips onto Cadys. Cady leaned into the kiss, slightly smiling against Janis lips. The first kiss after a long time of being apart was always something special. It was much more intimate almost magical while all of the endorphins are rushing throughout your whole body. And even though it was short because of their seven year old who was excitingly jumping up and down, watching both of them in awe it was amazing. It's one of the things Cady's always looking forward to the most when she gets home.

"I missed you too."

This is it. Again I'm sorry I just watched too many compilations xDDD I wanna write two little bonus stories but my brain wouldn't let me today. Anyways as always I hope you like it, I hope you have an amazing day and until next time, bye.♥️