Chapter 9

Zoey's POV

"Oh! Hey, Zoey!" Max said pretending to just notice me, but I knew deep down that he wasn't surprised.

"Hey, Max," I said quickly before turning back to Mrs. Williams, who had a suspicious look in her eyes.

"Oh, this is perfect! Max can act as a tour guide for you on the trip! In fact, because I trust you so much, Zoey, you will stay in Max's room to insure he stays out of trouble!" She said excitedly.

"But-" I tried to protest, but was cut off by Mrs. Williams.

"No buts. Keeping Max out of trouble will be part of your grade. Is that understood?" Her tone was strict, leaving no room for arguments.

"Yes, Mrs. Williams," I replied with a sigh.

"As for you Max, your grade will be affected by how well you behave and show her around. If I find out you unnecessarily left her points will be taken away from your grade. Understood?" She fixed him with a pointed look that caused me to smile.

"Yes, ma'am. I'll practically glue myself to Zoey's hip," he replied politely, with a smile.

"Good. Now both of you may be dismissed." She turned to her desk. I got up and grabbed my things and started for the door, hearing foot steps behind me.

"Hey, room-mate! Wait up!" Max called from behind me.

"Sorry, got to get to work. Tell your new bestie I said thanks for last night, now I'm being babied," I bit back. Why couldn't he leave me alone? Was that really too much to ask for?

"Are you okay?" He asked, with concern filling his tone as he walked next to me.

"Why do you care? You looking for more gossip? I've told you before, if that's all I am to you, then just leave me alone." I was in no mood to put up with him, and his ways.

"I care because you're my best friend. I've tried to appologize but you won't let me. I don't know what you want from me." He was getting aggravated, and I knew that he just might hit me again. I didn't care, though. If that's how it was going to be then that would be that.

"Ex best friend. And what I want? I want you to leave me the hell alone. Quit trying to play things down, like I didn't catch you talking shit behind my back. We'll do this stupid trip, but after we get back, you can stick with your friends. I'm so sick and tired of the bullshit!" I was past the point of no return. My breathing was heavy, causing pain to erupt in my ribs. My hand instinctly moved to the area in protection, and my eyes darted away from him.

"Zoe, let me help you. You're hurting," he said, worry filling his voice.

"No shit, sherlock, of course I'm in pain. But you touch me, and both of us will be hurting." I growled out my words through my clenched teeth. I'd promised us both before that if he ever touched me again, I would make him feel pain, and I'll keep that promise no matter what.

"I'm just trying to help. Please just let me help you. I know you don't hate me, and that you still trust me." His tone was bordering on condescending, and it just seemed to fuel my rage.

"I hate you for everything you're worth, which to me isn't much! You've chosen your damn path. You've made your own bed, now you can lie in it! I'm tired of you acting like nothing is ever your fault, Mr. I-think-I-can-do-no-wrong! Get off of your high horse, and go fuck yourself while you're at it!" Even with pain racing through my body, I stormed off.

I began walking towards the diner, trying to cool my temper to no avail. I hated him, I hated her, I hated the whole world right now. I was stuck working behind the counter at a diner in a small town, and would soon be stuck with my asshole of an ex best friend for five days. Oh, and I was living in a hotel because of my abusive step-mother, and workaholic father.

I was still steaming by the time I arrived at the diner. I grabbed a glass of water and took out the pain-killers and a granola bar from my bag. I ate, took the pills, and emptied the glass of water. I grabbed my apron and tied it around my waist, then put my bag in the back. It was going to be a long shift of working behind the counter, thanks to Brittney.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Max's POV

She'd came back today. I figured after the incident last night that she would've taken another day to rest. Or at least most people would've. I had to remind myself that she had been hurt worse, and still came to school.

I was pissed to see her hanging out with some Asian dude in the hallway, and lunch. She had smiled, a smile was something that not long ago I could only get out of her. Today though, she seemed perfectly content with him. I hated it with every nerve in my body, because to me she was only supposed to enjoy my company.

My annoyance had been just under the surface, and the littlest things would set me off. Even the guys I hung out with, started to leave me alone. Brittney, unfortunately hadn't taken the hint. Every chance she had, she was all over me. I couldn't stand her though, especially after she tripped Zoey last night. She was so fake, so pathetic, so desparate to bang every guy who had high social status.

I was relieved when one of the other guys, got her to leave with him. I no longer felt like a jungle gym with some monkey climbing all over me.

I could barely focus in any of my classes. Just as I would start following along in class, a thought about Zoey would pull me away. So when I finally got to my last period of the day, art, I was relieved. Art and Zoey were things that could always mix, and end in a positive result.

This week in class was our choice of what we did, because of the trip we had on Thursday and end on the following Monday. We were going to this big art festival in New Orleans, Louisiana. Some of the students going had their art in contests, me being one of them.

The piece I was submitting was a drawing of Zoey with her back to me sitting on a rock on one of the trails we'd hiked. It was set in the middle of the summer, with a black and white setting, while Zoey was done in vibrant colors. When it was just us, I always seemed to think that she was a bright light in the dull world, and this drawing represented that.

I had almost thrown this away when I first started hanging out with my new friends. It just reminded me of a girl I couldn't have if I wanted to be somebody. She was the past, but I still wished for her to be the present and the future.

Today, I was working in my sketchbook. It was of the silouette of a woman walking down a deserted road. I lost myself in my work and thoughts of Zoey.

When class finally ended, I took my time in packing up my stuff. Just as I was about to leave, Mr. Stevens, the art teacher, called me back and asked we to deliver the packet of field trip forms to Mrs. Williams room.

As soon as I entered, my eyes landed on her  form sitting on a desk. She looked aggravated when she saw me, which wasn't a surprise.

By the time that Mrs. Williams dismissed us, I was excited about going on this field trip. I was being graded on how well I stayed with Zoey and behaved. They even went as far as making us stay in the same hotel room, which thrilled me to no end. But I would have to behave, which could possibly get in the way.

I tried talking to her as we left but she just shot me down. I was honestly worried when she put her hand over her ribs protectively. I wanted to help, but she made sure I knew that if I touched her she would hurt me. I knew that whatever she did would enforce me, so I backed off the subject. She took that as her chance to leave, with me watching her disappearing figure.

Bring on the field trip. Five days with her in another town would be perfect. Hopefully.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: So here's the update... I'm not sure how I feel about it but at least it's written. I have no clue when I'll update next because I'm not exactly sure what I want to happen on the trip. The more reads, votes, and comments I get the sooner I'll update. If you follow me I'll follow you back. Hope you enjoy the update.

~Mud-Bug

Running From HellOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara