Chapter 6

Zoey's POV

      As the words left his mouth, my heart sped up a bit, the beeping of the monitor following. If he noticed, he didn't say anything. I scanned his face, searching for any hint of the question or questions soon to come, but found nothing other than the kindness he had.

      "Uh, um, go ahead," I mumbled, usnsure what to expect. "What's going to happen now? I mean, your truck is totalled, you barely have anything left to your name." His eyes seemed to search mine as if they held all of the answers, but I didn't have the answers.

      "I don't know. I didn't really know before and I still don't know. I can't just go home. If I go now, I might as well sign my death certificate. I have no where, I hardly have anything, just a big fucked up situation." I shook my head, looking towards the wall as tears welled up in my eyes.

      His arms gently wrapped around me and pulled me into his warm chest. I snuggled into him, grasping at something, anything to keep me afloat, when I felt as if I was being pulled under. "Zoe, come stay with me. I've got the room and I need somebody to keep me company. Please," he was pleading, his hazel eyes wide and desparate. What other choice did I have?

     "O-okay, but just until I can get on my feet. I don't want to impose on your life, you shouldn't have to put up with me." I said, with a serious tone. "Yeah, okay. Quit with the bullshit already, I'm thrilled that you'll be with me." The way his eyes sparkled, I knew he was being honest.

      "So, when am I getting out of here?" I asked, ready to be free of the blinding white setting. "Soon, I think. They might want to do a few tests before you leave. It just depends on what the doctor says," he said, with a shrug of his shoulders. "I-" I was cut off, by what I presumed to be a doctor, entering.

      The man looked to be in his fifties, with white hair, a tan complexion, and a lean frame. "Ah, Ms. Springdale, it's such a lovely surprise for you to be awake. I just want to have a few more tests done then you should be able to leave by ten, this morning." I glanced over at the clock on the wall to see it was just past five in the morning.

      "Okay," I simply replied, in a bashful tone. He turned towards Travis, "Sir, I will need you to step out while we run those tests." I met Travis's eyes as they looked at me, silently questioning me. I nodded my head, to let him know I would be all right. He gave me a kiss on the cheek, before leaving. Nurses soon entered my room, and wheeled me off for numerous tests, while I just pondered how my life would be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Travis's POV

      I can't believe she agreed to stay with me! I'm so thrilled! I had more than enough room for her, and it would be amazing to wake up every morning and know she's there. To have her back at the bookstore, unknowingly making customer's day. But most of all, she'd be safe. I wouldn't have to worry about if she was going to be found dead one day.

     As I waited, I walked around, thinking about how different things would be now. I guess if Max hadn't pushed her over the edge things would be worse. But, after she was released, she would be safe with me, and I would make her happy. If she was the sun, then Iwould be her shoulder to lean on.