Chapter 7

Zoey's POV

      My life always seemed to be a far cry from normal, but maybe I had a chance a something remotely close to it. We had just arrived at Travis's house, the place where I would stay until I could be out on my own.

      The medication from the hospital had worn off during the trip, so I was able to get out of the truck with no assistance. I caught the keys Travis tossed to me and grabbed Bull before making my way to the front door and unlocking it. I pushed open the door and inhaled the smell of Travis.

      I walked straight through the house, and opened the back door, releasing Bull into the large, fenced in backyard. I let out a laugh as his stumpy legs carried him across the green grass. I walked back into the house to see Travis carrying boxes containing what was recovered from my truck. I walked in front of him to the guest room he told me would be mine, and opened the door. He set the boxes in the corner, before sitting on the corner of the bed.

      "When do you start back working?" I wanted to do something, anything at this point would satisfy me.

      "Linda said I can have a three days off. Why?" He looked at me with a curious glint in his eyes.

      "Just wondering," I said nonchalantly, as if I was simly fueled on curiousity.

      His eyes scanned me for a moment, and I unconsiously became self-consious. "Liar. But, I figure you want to go do something?" He knew me too well sometimes. I simply nodded my head in response to his question. "How about I give you some money, and let you borrow the truck and you can run to the hardware store and pick up some paint for this room?"

      Was he serious? I can't impose on his life more so than I already am. "No, you don't have to do that that. This is your house, and you shouldn't change it just for me. The room is fine like it is. You were kind enough to let me stay here, and if there's something I don't like, I'll either deal with it or find some other place to stay." I told him firmly.

      "Fine. Look at it this way though, I think this room sucks, majorly so. I want this room painted, if you'll do it for the simple cost of the paint, it'll be cheaper than hiring somebody. Please, it'll will be a big help to me." One look at his face and I was done for. He had the nerve to do a puppy-dog face and I was a total sucker for it.

      "Ugh! Damn you! Fine, I'll do it! Just quit with that face. I swear you melt ice with it," I huffed out, frustrated that he got me to cave that easy.

      "Yay!" He exclaimed before lifting me up by my hips and spinning me around.

      "Now, I want a black background, with colorful things added to it. I've got some plastic in the building and will get the basics set up while you go get the other supplies. Here's the money," he said handing me a wad of bills he pulled from his wallet.

      "Aye-aye, Captain!" I saluted before grabbing the money and keys and leaving.

      On the way to the local Home Depot I started thinking about what kind of design I wanted to do. Several ideas came but nothing I was paticularly happy with. I thought about white designs but instantly ruled it out, it was cliche and boring. I just let my mind wander, as I drove.