Chapter 10

Zoey's POV

I went back to the hotel after I finished my shift at the diner. I grabbed the fifty bucks I needed to give Mrs. Williams and stuffed it into my wallet. Then I filled out the paperwork and put it back into my bag. I did my homework, took a hot shower then laid down and went to sleep.

********

The next morning, I stopped by Mrs. Williams class before school to give her the money and paperwork.

The rest of the day passed by normally, with the exception of my teacher's giving me work I needed to do while I was away on the field trip.

After school, I stopped by to let Bob know I would be gone for five days, then worked my shift.

When I was done at the diner, I went back to the hotel, took a shower and set all of my stuff by the door. Then laid down to get some sleep.

********

The next morning, I got ready then checked out of the hotel. When I got to school, I put most of my stuff in my locker. Classes seemed to fly by, and instead of going to my last class, I headed outside where other students who were going on the field trip were loading onto the bus.

I climbed on and found a seat towards the middle. Max sooned joined me, but I just pulled out a book and popped in my ear-buds. The ride there was long, with occasional breaks at rest stops.

I was happy when we finally pulled up to the hotel. I grabbed my stuff and filed off the bus along with the rest of the students.

The teachers checked us in then handed us our room keys. They had already gone over the rules on the way here, so we were allowed to go straight to our rooms. It was already late, and we were told to get something to eat then go to sleep. Tomorrow would be the first day we were at the festival.

Max and I took the elevator up to the third floor where our room was. When I opened the door, I was happy to see two twin beds. I tossed my stuff on the one closest to the balcony, which I knew would be one of my favorite places while we were here.

I dug through my bag and pulled out a pair of sweatpants and one of Travis's shirts I had. I walked into the bathroom and quickly changed.

Walking back into the room, I saw Max wearing a pair of flannel pajama pants and a wife beater. I turned back to my bed, and set my bags next to it. I pulled back the blankets, wanting to get some sleep.

"Aren't you going to eat?" Max asked.

"I'm not hungry," I stated, still not looking at him.

"You need to eat. And you're supposed to watch me," he replied.

"I'm going to sleep. You can either keep yourself out of trouble or I could knee you in your baby-maker," I threatened crawling into bed.

"I'll behave," he said, then left.

********

I was asleep shortly after he left but when he came back, I was awoken. Living with an abusive step-mother had caused me to become a light sleeper. Not that it stopped her from hurting me, though.

"It's okay, Zoe. Go back to sleep," Max whispered softly as he climbed into his bed. Knowing it was just him, I did just that.

********

The next few days went by quickly. It was really nice being able to see all of the art and just relax. But after Max had gone to sleep at night I would sneak downstairs and use the hotel's computers to look up the different options I had in my situation.