Chapter 8

It was two thirty when I finally finished my errands, and had put my things away, then slipped on my worn-out Converse. With nothing else to do I decided to head to the diner early. I grabbed an apple to snack on, then my bag, locked the door and started walking towards the diner.

      "Hey, hun! You're early," Bo greeted when I walked into the diner.

      "Yeah, I know. I just got finished with my errands, and had nothing else to do, so I figured I come in early." I responded, sitting on a stool at the counter.

      "You're fine. You can just rest a minute while I go get your uniform," he said, then walked away, while I finished the last few bites of my apple. I threw away the core, then waited for Bo to return.

      He soon returned carrying a white button up t-shirt, a black skater skirt, and a light pink apron with a name-tag. He slid them across the counter to me along with a permanent marker. "This is what you'll be required to wear each day. You'll have to write your name on the tag, but everythin' else is in order. Go change, then we'll get the rest of things set up." I nodded quickly, then grabbed my uniform and went to the bathroom to change.

      I slipped off my shoes, shirt and, shorts then pulled on the skirt and button up, pulling the skirt high on my waist and buttoning and tucking the shirt in. I slipped my sneakers on and re-did my hair, before gathering and folding my clothes. I slipped everything I didn't need into my bag, then tied on my apron.

      I walked back over to where I had previously sat, and wrote my name on my name-tag , then pinned it to my apron.

      Bo came over, and by four o'clock we had everything settled, and I began my shift which would end at nine when the diner closed.

********

      It was now about five, and the dinner crowd was starting to come in. I was getting change for one of the tables when a group of high schoolers walked in. I instantly recognized them as the 'popular' group, and wasn't too surprised to find Max among them. Unfortunately, they were seated in my section.

      I delivered the change to the appropriate table before deciding to face them.

      "Hello, my name's Zoey, and I'll be your waitress tonight. What can I get you folks to drink?" I replied kindly, with a fake smile plastered on my face.

      "Ugh, why does the freak have to be our waitress?" Brittney, the queen bee, whined.

      "I'll have a cookies and cream milkshake, please," Max said with a small smile. His response trigger drink orders from the others, and finally Brittney gave her drink order.

      "I'll be back in a few minutes to bring you your drinks and take your order," I gave a small nod, almost to myself then turned to fill their drink orders.

      As I was beginning to fill the orders, I felt eyes on me and turned to meet those of Travis. Damn! Could I catch a break? I wanted to scream in aggravation, and curse fate for all it had dealt me. Just when I was hoping he would leave me alone, he began walking towards me.