Chapter 5

Travis's POV

      I was awoken by Zoey shifting around in the hospital bed. Mumbled groans of discomfort escaped her chapped lips, as shivers raked over her body. She curled herself into a ball as best she could with the different tubes and wires and her casts. She pulled the starched white blankets to her chest. I sat up and put my warm hand on her hair and brushed her hair out of her face. Her smooth skin was cool, not horribly so, but not the usual warmth she put off.

      Linda, Roberta, and Thersea came and went at different intervals to check her primarily her but also myself as well. Linda had already called Sue-Ann with the major update, and it took a lot of arguing to get her to agree not to drive out here to personally see Zoe.

********

      It was a several hours left when I heard a commotion outside in the hallway. I heard a familiar male voice shouting and others that were trying to sooth him. Max Robinson. I knew he would show up, especially after those messages I had sent him. Anyone, especially a male, would have the natural instinct the check on someone they cared about. But he doesn't care about her enough that he would choose her over some stupid social position. Maybe it would've been best if I hadn't told, but then again maybe this would teach him a lesson. He would either own up to his mistake, and work his ass off to make up for it or he would be a narcissistic brat and leave her. Either way something need to happen, and this was one way to push things faster.

      I poked my head out into the hallway, watching for a moment as Max struggled against the nurses who were trying to hold him back. I let out a short whistle to get their attention, "Let him go for a minute," I called. They slowly released him, as he quickly stormed forward. "Where the hell is she? Let me fucking see her, before I tear this damn place apart," he seethed, bringing his face closer to mine.

      "Dude, chill the fuck down. It's not goin' to do anybody any good if you go stormin' in there like you're about to tear the building down. She's lived in hell since she moved in with that sperm donor of her's, plus all the shit that has happened to her lately. If you don't calm down, you won't be going in to see her." I wasn't doing to act like a total dick just because he was. I was the better man in this situation.

      He stepped back while taking a deep breath, then slowly exhaling. "Fine, I'm better now, just let me see her already." By the tone of his voice I could tell he wasn't completely calm but I trusted that he wouldn't hurt her. I opened the door widen enough for him to enter, and I quickly followed shutting the door behind us. But when I looked at the bed, my eyes slightly widen in shock at what I saw.

      Zoey was sitting on the bed, her knees pulled to her chest with her arms wrapped around them as best as she could. Her eyes were kind of droopy, but she was awake none the less. Her lips were drawn down in a cute frown, and her brows were furrowed, and all in all the looked super adorable.

      "Tr-Trav-Travis," her hoarse voice called out to me. Me. Not Max or anyone else, just me. I had to fight the grin that wanted to make an appearance on my face. I eased my way to the side of her bed, Max was standing opposite of me, his hands shoved into his pockets. Looking at her, I noticed her blue eyes were were staring into my hazel ones. God, she was perfect. "Yes, Zoe?" I asked in a gentle voice. "W-wa-water. C-c-cold." She stuttered, her small frame trembling. I grabbed the small bottle of water next to her bed, twisted the cap off then helped her drink some. I grabbed the extra quilt the nurse had left for her, and wrapped it around her shoulders.