Chapter 2

Zoey's POV

      I was awoken by a delicious smell wafting in from the space under the door. I slowly sat up in bed, stretching and glancing around at the unfamiliar room. In a rush, the events of yesterday flooded my mind. His words harsh comments and his laughing echoed through my mind, her painful assults seemed to sting on my skin. I knew I had to prove I was more than what they thought. I was going to transform myself into the girl I had always dreamt of being. I was going to hold my head up high when I walked, I would no longer cower in fear. Today, I would use some of my money to buy some new clothes, and would register at the local high school.

      Realizing I was now free sent waves of energy coursing through my whole body. The weight that had been on my shoulders for so long seemed to lighten. I was free. With my new found energy, I got up from the bed and walked downstairs. "Good morning, Mary-Beth," I chirped cheerfully. "Well, I see someone's feeling better, it's good to see you so happy. Pancakes and what would you like to drink? We've got milk, coffee, and orange juice." She had a bright smile on her face and her eyes were lit up, making me just that much happier. "Milk, please."

      She grabbed a glass out of the cabinet and filled it up with milk, then placed it in front of me, a plate of pancakes soon followed. I inhaled, filling my senses with the scent of chocolate chip pancakes. I poured a lot of syrup on them before taking a bite. "Mmmmm, these are really good. If I stay here too long, with as good as your cooking is I won't be able to move." Her eyes sparkled with joy as she watched me. "Nonsense dear, you could use some meat on your bones. And I'll make sure you work it off with chores, but thank you for the compliment. Do have any plans for today?" I thought about it for a moment before answering, "I was going to visit some local thrift stores, and apply at the local high school and maybe see about getting a part time job, as long as you didn't need my help today."

      "You go right ahead and do what you need to sweetie, do you mind if I tag along? I haven't really been able to go out with anyone lately, and I just miss being able to have some girl time." Her expression was hopeful, almost like she didn't think I would want her to come, it broke my heart knowing she thought that. "I would be over joyed if you would join me, I've never really had girl time." I admittied the last part sheepishly. "Oh, don't worry we will have fun, today. Now, finish eating then go get ready," her eyes were shining with joy, and she smiled from ear to ear. I quickly finished my pancakes and milk then headed upstairs to my room to get ready.

      Once in my room, I grabbed my duffel bag, before walking into the bathroom. I unzipped it, looking at the clothes I had put in there. I pulled of the shirt and tights I was wearing. Looking at my body in the full length mirror on the back of the bathroom door. There were still dark bruises around my wrists, biceps and throat, the scars from over the years were fading but you could still see them. The backs of my legs were cover in welts and bruises, where my step-mother had repeatedly hit me with a leather belt. Most of the foundation on my face haad came off, revealing the purple bruise at the corner of my eye and, the fading hand print where she slapped me yesterday morning before school.

      I reached in my bag a pulled out a pair of gray tights and black denim shorts, and a gray turtle-neck sweater. I pulled on my clothes then pulled my still blonde hair back into a ponytail. Maybe I should leave my hair blonde. I was seventeen, even if they found me, there wasn't much they could do. I grabbed my brush out of my bag, and brushed my hair that came just past my waist, then pulled it back into high ponytail. I brushed my teeth and put on deordorent, and made sure to completely wash yesterday's make-up off. I dried my face, grabbed my foundation and only put on what I needed to hide the bruise and hand print. I added a little bit of mascara to my lashes, and added some lip balm to my lips. I wasn't ugly, but I just wasn't able to dress like normal girls because I had to hide my bruises. Deciding I was ready I grabbed my wallet and keys and headed down stairs to wait for Mary-Beth.