Chapter 21

As we walk Yelena steps in stride next to me. "Tell me, where did you get that gem?" She asks pointing to the crystal around my neck. 

I subconsciously reach up to touch the smooth surface, "It was my mothers. Though she wasn't the one to give it to me. A trusted friend gave it to me."

Yelena nods, "That crystal was passed down through generations of seers."

"Seers?" I ask.

"Yes. Tell me, child. Have you had strange dreams that come true the next day? Seem events play out in your mind then they happen moments later in real life?" She asks.

I nod. "Yes. Ever since my mother died, but it was just little things like the weather or what the shipment would be that day. Only up until recently did they get more... disturbing." I think back to the sinking feeling and being so cold. "What does it mean?" I ask turning to face Yelena.

"Ever since we claimed these wood as our home there has been a seer. A woman with the ability to peer into the future or past. The gift passed down through the women's daughters. When the daughter came of age they would be able to use the gift. With the help of her mother, the girl would master it." Yelena leads me through the camp to stand on the north edge. "Some of these women could even commune with the spirits and the spirits listened." 

"I hear them. The spirits, or-or at least the wind and fire spirits."

Yelena places a hand on my shoulder. "You can not hear the others because they are angry, restless. They can not be reasoned with until they are calm. Restless spirits are unpredictable remember that child. My sister was lost trying to calm them."

"Your sister?" I ask.

"Yes. The day of the fight she thought her daughter, your mother, was lost. She was driven by grief and determination for answers. The need got her drowned. For Ahtohallan is rarely forgiving."

"Not too far our you'll be drowned." I sing softly. 

Yelena smiles at me sadly, "I see her in your eyes. Your mother had a heart of gold. Be brave, child." Yelena pulls me into a hug and I return it. 

After my talk with Yelena, I return to the camp and see Elsa sitting by the brown-haired girl talking quietly with a baby reindeer sleeping in her lap. I take a seat next to Elsa and lay my head on her shoulder, my mind exhausted from all the new information. I notice Anna on the outskirts of camp talking to lieutenant Mattias. She waves to me and I wave back.

The brown-haired girl smiles at me, "I'm Honeymaren."

"y/n." I reply with a smile. 

Honeymaren sets her bowl on the ground beside her and gestures to the scarf in Elsa's lap. "I want to show you something. May I?" Elsa nods and I sit up intrigued with what Honeymaren had to say. She picks up a section of the scarf with the familiar symbols of the elements on it. "You know air, fire, water, and earth." She says gesturing to each symbol. 

"Yes." me and Elsa reply at the same time. We glance at each other before looking away giggling softly.

"Well look, there's a fifth spirit. It's said to be the bridge between us and the magic of nature." Honeymaren explains. 

"A fifth spirit?" I ask.

Honeymaren nods, "Some said they heard it cry out the day the forest fell. The seer thought she could find it by talking with the spirits."

"My father heard it!" Elsa says. "Do you think that's who's calling me?" She asks.

"Maybe. Alas, only Ahtohallan knows." Honeymaren sighs.