Chapter Twelve

The limousine was a nice touch on Henry's part. It had multicolored lights all throughout the back area where they were sitting as well as a cooler with a plethora of drinks and small snacks. It would have been immensely romantic if she were in the mood and if she actually thought about him like that more than what her strange brain did when it was tired or when it was not thinking properly. But Charlotte was not happy to be with Henry right now going to the Jandy River to have a photoshoot for their three-month anniversary. 

Charlotte couldn't believe that her and Kid Danger had been together for three months already. It felt like it had been forever since everything had happened. They had done so much together, like fighting with each other at Big Putts, or when they went to the carnival for their first date. It had also been three months since Seymour Butts made the statement that he had a way to kill Captain Man, and they had not found him yet. Ray had spent that long in captivity in the Man Cave. Swellview was too busy hating her to notice that they really hadn't seen Captain Man in almost three months. 

Even though it had been a week since that whole ordeal happened, she was still the talk of the town. KLVY News wouldn't run their interview again on air to review what they had seen and talked about because they did not agree with the scandal. The local radio station wouldn't even talk about her when they spoke about Kid Danger even though they were together almost all the time. Some people had the audacity to create a petition, calling for Kid Danger to break up with Charlotte, and it had almost a hundred thousand signatures already. Worst of all, Jack Swagger's fans were still attacking her and telling her to kill herself or threatening her, especially with the recent comments he made about respecting himself and whoever he was going to date next.

Charlotte never thought that anything of this sort would happen to her. She thought this thing would go very quickly because Kid Danger had something that was important to him to help draw out Seymour Butts. Yet nothing happened. Seymour Butts had gone dark; there was nothing about him anymore, he wasn't interrupting the news, he wasn't doing anything to give light to who he was or what he was doing. That made her truly believe that Seymour Butts was the brainchild of Schwoz because he had this weird obsession with her and Henry and their relationship with each other. 

"What are you thinking about?" Charlotte glanced over at Henry, who sat as far away from her as he could in the back of the limo. His eyebrows raised at her, diving into that perfectly gelled hair of his. She pursed her lips, and the hesitation in him running a hand through his hair told her that he was worried about her. "You have that look on your face that you always wear when you're thinking deeply about something. You don't have to tell me, though."

"Thank you. I don't want to tell you."

Charlotte shifted her gaze away from him as he let out a soft yet angry sigh. She knew she was being incredibly petty right now. She hadn't spoken with him since that day at Big Putts, the mini golf course, because she didn't like how he was going to fight Jack Swagger just because of her. It was immature and rude. Did he truly think she couldn't take care of herself? And did he think that fighting Jack would actually do something besides getting him hurt and tarnishing his reputation in Swellview as Kid Danger? It seemed like he didn't think about any of that at all.

An awkward tension filled the air, making it very hard to breathe through the thick oxygen. If only she had a knife, then she could try to cut through whatever was wrong with her and him. They had never acted like this before. Maybe it was because they had never taken their relationship this far. Maybe it was because of something else. All she knew was that she didn't like any of this. She feared that she was going to lose him because of how stubborn she was being lately. But she couldn't let go of this anger in her heart. Not yet.

She reached over to the cooler, pulling open the door. A blast of chilly air traveled over her hands, so she quickly grabbed the first thing she saw and pulled it out of the cooler. It was a clear plastic bag full of black cookies that looked like cream was scraped off them. A few of them were crumbling together to create dust in the bottom of the plastic bag, but most of them were intact with just a little bit of white cream remaining.