Chapter Ten

"I can't believe we brought Jasper here with us," Charlotte whispered to Henry as Jasper oohed at all the attractions at the mini golf course. She glanced behind them and saw him trailing behind them with wide eyes. "I can't believe he's acting like he's never been here before when, in reality, he has multiple times. And I can't believe he's wearing Ray's jorts."

"Oh, just leave him be, Char," Henry said with a laugh. He wrapped his arm tighter around her shoulder like he was going to lose her in the crowds surrounding them. "Don't you want to have fun with our best friend today?"

"Not when there's cameras everywhere. He's going to either embarrass us in front of everyone or he's going to reveal our secrets."

"He hasn't yet, so take a chill pill and calm down."

"I think I'll shove that chill pill somewhere else," Charlotte muttered to him. He glanced at her with a frown on his face, like she was acting more different than normal. Maybe she was. "How would it feel if I shoved it up your --"

"What has gotten into you today?" he asked. Henry grabbed three golf clubs for the three of them, handing one to each of them. Jasper collected their three multi-colored balls for them, while Charlotte just stood there. "You were angry the whole ride here, yelling at people who were going slow or who were pulling out in front of us. What is your problem?"

She really didn't know why she was in such a bad mood today. Charlotte just woke up this morning and knew everything felt wrong. The sun was way too bright, keeping her awake longer than she wanted. For some reason, she felt way too hot in her bed because her covers were so heavy and warm. It started off as a bad day, and she wasn't sure if it was because of her and Henry's dinner the other night with her parents.

That dinner went so much better than she had expected. Her parents were really receptive toward him, especially because he was on his best behavior around them. Even though the food they had made was absolutely disgusting, Henry and her parents were laughing and chatting like they were old friends. It probably helped that Henry actually knew them and knew how they reacted to things. The whole evening was such a surprise to her.

But the thing that surprised her the most was that she wished it was Henry in that seat at her dinner table instead of Kid Danger. Sure, Henry had sat at that exact seat many nights in the past, but that was just as her best friend. This was way different. This was the first time her parents had actually spent quality time with a guy she was going out with. They never had enough time to spend with Jack Swagger whenever he came to Swellview to visit her, which meant that they didn't exactly trust him. Yet they seemed to trust Kid Danger, even after their initial meeting in their downstairs bathroom with Charlotte. 

Everything about this situation with Henry was making her head and heart do some strange things. She couldn't believe that she had almost kissed Henry in her kitchen when they were alone. That was the craziest thing she had ever done in her entire life, and that was saying something because she decided to work with her best friend at a place that only seemed to employ guys. Charlotte hated herself for allowing that to almost happen because this was her best friend she was almost kissing. Her best friend. Not her boyfriend. Not her lover. Her best friend. That was it. That was all they were going to be.

And for some reason, that didn't sit right with her.

"I don't know why I've been acting like this," she finally managed to say to him. He was looking at her with something strange in his eyes, like he knew she was lying to him. He probably did; they were best friends who knew each other better than anyone else. "I don't know what's wrong with me."

As they approached the ball washing station, Charlotte took her golf club and golf balls from her two friends. She just wanted to get started on playing mini golf with them and get to the competitiveness that they all exhibited together. That way, she could forget about the weird feelings forming in her chest the more she spent time with Henry.