Chapter Seven

Because Charlotte hadn't spent a lot of time with Jasper lately and he seemed extra sulky, she decided to walk to Junk N' Stuff with him. She had spent the whole afternoon doing homework, and she definitely needed a break after completing it. Plus, it was time to meet up with Ray and Schwoz and talk about the plan that consisted of her and Henry, so it was a two for one kind of deal. She felt bad that Jasper was all alone at school since he didn't really have any other friends than her and Henry, so she offered to walk with him. Unfortunately, that was a mistake.

Jasper kept talking about everything that had happened to him since the last time they truly talked together. He had to include every little detail to make sure she didn't miss out on any of his experiences. Little did he know that she wasn't actually listening to him at all. She would throw in a few nods and 'mmhm' to let him know that she was "listening," but she actually wasn't paying attention to a single word he was saying. Did that make her a bad friend? Probably. Did she want to know everything about his day-to-day life? Definitely not.

"It's so good to talk to you, Char," Jasper said, a grin wide on his face. She blinked at him, wondering what she missed before this proclamation of love for her. "I've missed you a lot since you've been hanging out with Kid Danger more."

"I missed you, too, Jasp," Charlotte said. And it was the truth. Even though Jasper was one strange guy, he was her friend, too. Her, Jasper, and Henry were like the Three Musketeers, and it was different just hanging out with Henry without the third person of their group. "Maybe Henry and I will bring you somewhere with us since Kid Danger does need some friends, too."

"Do you really think Kid Danger would really want to be friends with me?"

"I mean, he's already your friend, so yeah."

"Do you think people would believe that Kid Danger would want to be friends with me?"

"They believe that I actually want to date him."

"That's true."

Thankfully, they had made it to Junk N' Stuff, so she didn't need to pretend to listen to him anymore. He would probably latch onto Henry and tell him everything he had told Charlotte, anyway. It had been a long time since Jasper hung out with him, too. They needed to do something together soon, or else Jasper was going to die of loneliness. 

The elevator ride was quick and (finally) quiet down to the Man Cave. When the elevator door opened, Charlotte saw Schwoz and Henry huddled around the work desk, looking at something on Henry's phone. They both were cracking up about something. Ray was nowhere to be found, which was weird since he lived at the Man Cave.

"What're you guys watching?" Jasper asked excitedly. He ran over to Henry and Schwoz, peering over Schwoz's shoulder to see what was on Henry's phone. "Oh, that's great. I didn't know someone got a video of her falling and posted it on the internet."

Charlotte frowned, walking over to the three boys. She looked over Henry's shoulder at his phone, crossing her arms over her chest. Anger and embarrassment burned in her stomach at the sight of her falling over the railing at school and landing in Kid Danger's arms. She knew that her classmates were addicted to their phones, but would they rather video her falling to her demise rather than helping her? She didn't want to answer that question.

"I didn't know I was the butt of the joke," she said, her voice hard. Henry looked back at her with a huge grin on her face, but it quickly changed when he saw her glaring at him. "Thanks for laughing at me when I thought I was going to die."

"You didn't think I was going to catch you?" Henry asked her. He turned his phone off so she wouldn't see the video anymore. "Were you actually worried about the plan?"