Chapter Four

Charlotte desperately didn't want to go to school today. She was tired of pretending to be in a fake relationship with Henry -- Kid Danger. No one else besides her coworkers knew that Henry was Kid Danger. She hated all the attention she got at school because of Kid Danger. Couldn't her classmates mind their own business and stay out of hers? No, they couldn't because she was dating a local superhero. She hated it every second of it. Well, besides hanging out with Henry as Kid Danger. She was already best friends with him, so it wasn't that much different, only adding in the romantic bits of a relationship.

Every girl at school would look at her like she was the worst girl on the planet and that they wanted her dead all because she was dating Kid Danger. Charlotte didn't like how they whispered to each other whenever she was around them, like she couldn't tell who they were talking about. Every boy at school was suddenly interested in her, too. They all would talk to her when she wasn't with Henry as Kid Danger, flirting and trying to hold her hand until Henry told them to leave her alone. 

What was wrong with people when it came to celebrities? Didn't they realize that celebrities were normal people, too, and that they deserved privacy just as much as the regular person? Sure, there were some celebrities that loved being the center of attention, like Captain Man and sometimes Kid Danger, but she hated being in the limelight because of who she was dating. Charlotte didn't think these people were capable of having those kinds of thoughts, though. They were too focused on their obsessions to even care about other people.

With a sigh, Charlotte rolled out of her bed, the only place she ever felt like herself. The hardwood was cool beneath her feet, waking her up more. Even though she dreaded going to school, she knew she couldn't miss a day just because she didn't want to go. She did have to maintain her near-perfect attendance. Besides, she didn't want to miss any of her classes just in case the teachers went over something important. She would fall behind if she missed a single day, and she didn't want that to happen.

She grabbed the clothes she had picked out last night that were sitting on the vanity in her room so she could take a quick shower before going to school. Maybe she would have enough time to get something quick to eat after she showered. She wasn't sure just yet because she wasted a lot of time lying in bed and dreading the upcoming day instead of getting ready.

When Charlotte made it to the bathroom, she was surprised to find the light on, and the door was barely cracked open. Pressing her ear against the door, she strained her ears, trying to hear if anyone was in there. She didn't hear anything, so she assumed that her mom or dad left the light on for her to shower. They usually did that if she was running late, which was rare. She hated running late.

Charlotte entered the bathroom. She shut the door behind her before setting her clothes on the sink. Charlotte was about to start undressing when she heard a noise coming from the shower to her left. A scared tremor went through her body when she realized that she might not be alone in the bathroom. The question was who would be in there right now?

"Mom? Dad? Is that you?" she asked, hoping that her voice wasn't shaking. 

No one answered her. She let out a sigh of relief and shook her head. Maybe she was just hearing things coming from another part of her house. Since the far bathroom wall connected to the kitchen, she thought that her parents were doing something in there. At least, that was what she thought until a loud clatter came from the shower.

Charlotte almost screamed when she saw the shower curtain flutter ever so slightly. There was someone in her house. Not just in the house, though. They were in her shower, about to attack her. Seymour Butts had already found her. He sent someone after her already to silence her before getting to Kid Danger and Captain Man.