Chapter Five

A warm breeze blew through the Mancopter as Charlotte and Henry flew over Swellview toward Neighborville for their first date. It wasn't her idea to take the Mancopter, but she was glad that they had taken it. Everything on the ground looked so miniscule, like she was a giant in the land of dwarfs. Usually, it was the other way around when she was hanging out with Henry and Ray since they were taller than her. It was also very peaceful up here in the cloudless sky because no one was talking about her and Kid Danger being together. Right now, it was just Henry (even if he was wearing his Kid Danger Suit) and Charlotte, not Kid Danger and Charlotte. It was nice.

"Are you excited for today?" Henry asked her, glancing over at her. She caught his eyes before he looked back at the world below them. For some reason, he looked a little nervous. Weird. "Because I am. I'm ready to let loose a little and just have fun with you."

"Yeah, I am," Charlotte admitted. In her mind, she kept telling herself that this wasn't a real date between her and Henry. She kept reminding herself that it was just something they're doing as friends, like they used to do before this whole plan began. "I bet Jasper's jealous that we get a whole carnival to ourselves, though."

"He is. The last time I saw him, he was sulking in the Man Cave. He wouldn't even look at me."

"We'll have to do something with him soon," Charlotte told him. She sighed, rubbing a hand over her face. It was tiring being in this situation with Henry, and they hadn't even been fake together for that long. "I feel bad that he's basically left out of what we're doing."

"Eh, he's fine. We kept the Kid Danger secret from him for years."

"You're such a terrible friend."

"Maybe, maybe not." Henry glanced over at her again with a slight smile on his face. Charlotte couldn't help but smile back at him. "And don't you mean we?"

The two of them laughed softly together, and she was glad that they were able to still do that. She was terrified of losing her friendship with him because of this fake romantic relationship. She glanced outside and was surprised that they were already in Neighborville. The morning sun shone down on the little town below them, casting it in a warm haze. The carnival was all lit up with a multitude of colors, ready for them to come. A small smile appeared on her face until she saw something strange in the carnival.

"Wait, is that a crowd of people in the carnival?" Charlotte asked as she leaned out slightly to get a better look at the ground below them. The helipad that Ray paid to be installed here in Neighborville was surrounded by people, all of them pointing up at the sky. Her stomach dropped at the sight. "I thought Ray paid to have this place empty for us."

"He was supposed to."

"Then why are there people here?"

"He probably forgot between him mourning his upcoming death and him freaking out about every little noise in the Man Cave."

"Can you turn around, Henry? I don't want people to follow us around the whole day."

"No, I can't turn around now, Char. We'll be fine. Hopefully."

It didn't take that long for him to land the Mancopter on the helipad. He had gotten good at flying this helicopter after Ray taught him, and she was glad that he could fly it easily without killing them. Though, she really did want them to crash instead of land right now just so she wouldn't have to face all the crowds again. Dying would have been better than this. 

Henry walked over to her side after he got out and helped her out of the Mancopter. The sound of teenage girls screamed once they saw him, but Henry didn't pay any attention to them. Charlotte flinched at the sound. "Does my hair look okay?" she asked him quickly, hoping her heard her over the screaming.