Chapter 28 & Epilogue

Alex put her heavy coat on. It was the middle of winter and cold in New York. She sighed. It had been a long day that had started out with tragedy. Ralph died.

It shouldn't have bothered her as much as it did but when she flushed him down the toilet, she couldn't stop the tears. Stupid fish.

She ran to catch the elevator, but the doors closed and not one person held the door for her.

New Yorkers.

She waited for the next elevator and climbed in with a woman with so much hair spray on her hair that it made Alex a little light-headed.

She made her way through the massive lobby and stopped when someone called her name. It was the delegate from Spain.

He thanked her for helping by stepping in when their interpreter was ill. She smiled and told him it had been no problem and she was happy to help.

The hairs on the back of her neck stood up and some sixth sense sent warning alarms through her.

With her heart thumping in her chest, she began to look around until her eyes landed on Apollo.

At first, she thought her eyes were playing tricks on her. It had happened a thousand times since coming to New York. She would think she saw him only to find it was of course not him.

She stood there, her feet rooted to the spot watching.

He stood in the middle of the lobby with no jacket, just his black slacks and white oxford and black tie. The strange thought of how he must be cold floated through her confused mind.

He began to walk towards her, her mind a crazy mixture of hope and fear. She was pretty sure she wasn't breathing either.

Tears glistened in his eyes. His face was thinner and the beard gave him a dangerous look.

"Hi," he whispered.

Tears were blinding her eyes and choking her voice. "Hi."

"I'm so sorry, Alexi. I know I should have told you about the doctor and the shooter but I was convinced you would leave if you knew there wasn't any danger. It's all I had to keep you for just a little while. And whatever Kassandra told you was a lie. I haven't been with any other woman since you. I would never hurt you. I love you."

Tears slowly found their way down her cheeks. Tears of happiness.

A cry of joy broke from her lips. "Tell me again," she whispered.

Apollo stepped forward and cupped her face gently and wiped her tears away with his thumbs.

"I wasn't with Kassandra ..."

"No, the other part," she said on a sob.

He smiled and the whole world righted itself. "I love you. More than I ever thought possible, agapimeno."

She cried and laughed as Apollo pulled her to him and his last words of love were smothered on her lips.

His kiss sent spirals of ecstasy through her. If this was a dream, she never wanted to wake up.

She returned his kiss with reckless abandon not caring where they were or that people were stopping and staring.

Raising his mouth from hers, he gazed into her eyes with so much love it took her breath away.

"I love you," she whispered.

She saw him swallow as he took a step back and lowered himself to one knee.

Alex cupped her mouth with her hands not believing what was happening.

Apollo pulled a box from his slacks and opened it to reveal the most breathtaking diamond ring.