Chapter 23

With a twinge of disappointment, Apollo stared down at the beautiful angel sleeping in his bed. Disappointment because he didn't want to leave her and resentment because he had to.

He shouldn't even have come home last night but he was powerless to stay away. She was like his own personal addiction, and he'd needed a fix of her.

His mind burned with thoughts of last night. He'd never felt so out of control, so primal and possessive.

And the reason he came home, he told himself, was to tell Alexi the truth. Self-disgust washed over him. He was a coward.

Everytime he was with her, he couldn't bring himself to come clean for fear of losing her. He had an overwhelming sensation that things were moving too quickly for him to process. And the dread he felt that the other shoe was going to drop and there was nothing he could do to stop it was terrifying.

So, the internal conundrum of telling her the truth and losing her for his dishonesty, or not telling her the truth and still risk losing her, raged within him.

And on top of all that, he was in the middle of the biggest deal ever made in his company. It wasn't just about the profit his company would make; it would also provide thousands of new jobs to boost the hard-hit economy of Greece.

His legal teams were working round the clock to try and meet all the demands of the sheik as well as put forth their own demands.

Apollo sighed and leaned down to kiss Alexi and smell her unique smell mingled with her sleep scent.

He made his way to the kitchen where Yiannis was eating an omelet. Anna set a cup of coffee and an omelet in front of him.

Apollo took a gulp of coffee but shook his head at breakfast.

Yiannis tapped the counter in front of his plate. "Eat at least one meal today. We'll be lucky if we see this house again for two days. Even my phone has been exploding."

Apollo hesitated but nodded. If he was going to power through the next two days, he would need to eat when he could. If they could clinch the deal in two days time, Apollo would be free to take Alexi to the ball and celebrate. Maybe even tell her the truth and fall on his sword and beg forgiveness.

***

Alex mulled over a quote by George Sand, who she was shocked to learn was a woman, "There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved."

It was true, at least in Alexi's life experiences, that if you were fortunate to find someone to love and have them love you back, then you were indeed one of the few lucky souls.

Alex had a few love warriors in her life but not many. Mostly, she had been invisible.

This love she felt for Apollo was so big and so brand new. She was terrified that someone may come along and poke a pin in it and she would watch it spin out of her reach. Just like so many things had been out of her reach and her control for most of her life.

Now she felt a newly awakened sense of life. She had willed her defenses to subside. She had an indefinable feeling of rightness within her.

Apollo, who once angered her beyond reason, now made her feel love beyond reason.

She marveled at how sure of himself and his rightful place in the universe he was, as if it was etched in the stars before time began.

Were they etched in the stars? Could Apollo love her like she loved him?

Thankfully her anxious thoughts were interrupted by Anna telling her that Theo was here to see her.

A thoughtful smile curved her mouth. What a welcome surprise.