Chapter 4

Alex was numb with increasing rage and shock. How dare he find fault with her? Apollo Stavros didn't know her at all. What's it to him if she did make a date while she was working? And, for all things holy, why did she feel guilty, like she had done something wrong?

She was swimming through a haze of feelings and desires. One minute he was looking at her like he wanted to lay her across the table and ravish her and the next his eyes were angry and cruel.

Alex shifted indignantly from foot to foot, as she chewed on her lower lip. What did she care what he thought? Why was she agonizing over what Kris's cousin thought of her?

He would be gone in a matter of days and she would never see him again. She heard the bell ding and without giving any conscious thought into what she was doing, she passed out plates and continued to mull over her anxious emotions.

She wasn't just mulling things over, no, she was hardening her heart by erecting barriers of anger. It's what she always did so she wouldn't get hurt. She could almost feel the brick and mortar being constructed as she picked up her phone and texted Kris that she would be staying at Bobbi's tonight so he could catch up with his cousin.

She put the phone back in her uniform pocket feeling better. She wouldn't be at the apartment until tomorrow night to get ready for her date. Apollo Stavros would be at his hotel room, blissfully away from her. If she played her cards right, she would only see him again at graduation.

Which reminded her that she needed to find a place to stay after graduation. Her plan had been to find a job and an apartment in Maine. It still was her plan, but for some reason, she couldn't muster up the gumption to actually google apartments in Maine. She was sure it was because she had been working so hard and her heart was breaking a little at losing her best friend. She fought hard against the tears she refused to let fall.

Girding herself with resolve, Alex pulled her phone from her pocket again and dialed Bobbi. She may be a mess right now, but she still needed a place to stay tonight. She would take one day at a time and hope everything fell into place. Everything, as in a job, a place to live, and the will to go on living without her best friend.

*

"Girl, let me get this straight, Kris's cousin, the Greek God, was looking at you like you were his favorite flavor of ice cream, and then he acted all pissed off when you made the date with Blake, and was all up in your face about it?" Bobbi asked as she stopped painting her nails and stared at her like she had two heads.

Alex sighed deeply as she adjusted the cucumber slices on her eyes.

"Pretty much. The man is a conundrum. Nothing like Kris."

Bobbi's laugh was low, throaty.

Alex sat up on her elbows and removed one cucumber slice and opened her eye.

"What?"

"Lord, youth is wasted on the young. Girl, the Greek God is into you. He was jealous of Blake."

Alex barked out a laugh and popped the cucumber slice into her mouth.

"That is absurd! The man has called me a gold digger, insulted my work ethic, and pretty much looked like he was sucking on a lemon from the moment he set eyes on me."

Bobbi tilted her head and looked at her like she was a simpleton.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but you met him naked, but for a towel, and from what he could see, you were canoodling with his very gay cousin. Does that sound about right?"

Alex looked thoughtful. She nodded. "Yup, that about sums it up. But all things considered, that still doesn't give him the right to be so high and mighty and look down his nose on me," she grumbled, eating the other cucumber slice.