Chapter 2

Kneeling, Kristos swept the broken coffee mug up off the floor and with a deliberately casual movement, he turned and faced him.

"What just happened?" he asked with a furrowed brow.

Apollo managed to shrug and say, offhandedly, "I don't know what you're talking about? I was momentarily surprised, nothing more. Now what do we have on the agenda for today? I'm yours for the morning, but this afternoon I've got to get some work done." Even to Apollo's own ears, his voice sounded stifled and unnatural.

Kristos stood and deposited the broken cup in the trash before taking a deep breath and shrugging.

"I'll give you a tour of the campus after I shower," he said, pouring himself another coffee and heading in the direction of his bedroom.

Apollo nearly collapsed into a chair as his knees almost buckled. What had just happened? He tried weighing the whole structure of events in his mind.

The moment she had waltzed into the kitchen, his curiosity had been aroused. A pulling sensation had begun in his gut. He couldn't help his coveting gaze as it raked over her bare shoulders, upper back and bare calves. Apollo was instantly in turmoil as the negative emotions roiled through him. A flash of unnamed anger at his cousin, sudden confusing jealousy and an envy so strong it was squeezing his ribs tight and causing pain in his jaw as he clenched his teeth.

The suggestion of nubile curves beneath her towel had him instantly hard. But it was when she turned around, that something intense flared through his entrancement unlike anything he had ever experienced before. His emotions felt as eager and erratic as a summer storm. The very air around her seemed electrified.

Her beauty was like a punch to his solar plexus as it took the breath from his lungs. Her soft cheeks were of rose and pearl. There was both a delicacy and strength in her face. The Nordic blue of her eyes held shock and surprise. Her nose was exquisitely dainty. But it was her naturally red lips parted in surprise that he could not look away from. Time stood still and his heart paused.

Her long white-blonde hair was starting to dry in waves around her shoulders. She was devastatingly beautiful. He had never wanted a woman as much as he wanted the woman in front of him. His shock yielded quickly to fury.

Fury at his cousin, fury at this woman that clearly had a close personal relationship with his beloved cousin, and fury at himself for wanting something he could never have.

He prided himself on never needing anyone. He enjoyed his solitary life. He had his work and his family to take care of. He enjoyed beautiful women from all over the world but he needed none of them except to scratch an itch and enjoy their company. Indifference had been the only emotion he had ever felt for the ladies he dated. Certainly nothing like the primal, urgent desire to claim this woman and bury himself inside her deeply until it was flesh against flesh, man against woman.

Along with his burning desire, he felt awe and pride that this slip of a woman had not backed down from him. Her eyes had burned with self-righteous anger toward him and it was fucking glorious. Most men he dealt with didn't have her nerve and determination.

He wasn't sure how long he sat there. Kristos was speaking to him but his words didn't register on his dizzied senses.

Apollo stood and cleared his throat. "Sorry?"

Kristos narrowed his eyes but grinned. His cousin was the happiest person Apollo had ever met. He loved life and life loved him right back. A protectiveness washed over him. He didn't know what kind of hold Alexi had on his cousin, but he would make sure she didn't take advantage of Kristos's naivety and trusting manner. Of that he was certain.