Chapter 11

Apollo was late getting to the hospital. Well, not late, because he hadn't been expected, but he had been scouring the city for wildflowers.

It had been almost impossible to find someone to create a bouquet of nothing but wildflowers. Eventually he had made the incentive large enough for a small flower shop owner to go traipsing through the fields to pick hundreds of wildflowers and arrange them just so for Apollo.

When he left the apartment, Kristos was still sleeping, which was what he wanted. He wanted to spend some time with Alexi alone to talk about her recuperation plan.

The flowers were supposed to help with that.

The elevator opened and he began to walk to Alexi's room when he heard her laugh and he stopped short.

She was standing with the sunlight to her back making her appear angelic. She wore white silk pajamas with a matching silk robe. Her hair made a white halo around her head and down her shoulders. She wore a trace of makeup that took away her ghostly pale complexion. She was a fucking glorious sight.

His pulse quickened at seeing her. His heart thumped erratically in his chest. He became painfully hard instantly. His whole body ached with longing.

And then he saw him. Alexi's arm was resting on a male orderly who was looking at her like she was his favorite flavor of ice cream.

A growl rumbled around Apollo's chest as he watched them unnoticed.

Alexi was smiling and waving her free hand animatedly.

"I'm looking into maybe teaching when I recuperate. I've sent my resume to Japan. They approached me and asked me to send my resume to them. The terms looked amazing and the money was crazy. But the only drawback is, I would have to sign a contract for three years. Three years is a long time."

Apollo's gut clenched. Japan? Kristos hadn't mentioned that to him.

Just then, Alexi looked up and saw him. She stopped walking and talking. Surprise touched her pale face.

"Apollo, Kris isn't here yet," she said almost shyly.

Apollo slowly closed the distance. "I didn't come to see Kristos. I came to see you ... and to give you these," he uttered, holding the flowers out.

Her soft gasp was all that he had wanted. Proof that he had been right and the wildflowers would make her happy.

"Wildflowers? They're breathtaking! I've never seen such a display. They're my favorite. They remind me of summer in Maine."

Her whole face spread into a smile. That smile was as intimate as a kiss. He could hardly breathe. He could only hope he was smiling back.

The orderly commented on the flowers and that brought Apollo back quickly. He glared at the orderly.

Alexi must have sensed the sudden coolness in the air because she cleared her throat. "Apollo, this is Jaxon, he's one of my nurses. I have to walk for ten more minutes before I go back to my room."

Apollo nodded and held the flowers out to Jaxon. "Would you mind putting these in Miss Smith's room? I will walk with her."

Jaxon nodded, knowing full well he had been dismissed.

Alexi's eyes followed the flowers down the hall.

He gently linked his arm with hers. She blushed.

"They really are the most spectacular flowers I have ever seen, thank you."

Apollo nodded.

"They were a little late coming, but I haven't been able to concentrate properly lately."