Chapter 14

The jet door opened and Apollo walked toward Alex and she held up her hand.

"Do not even attempt it. I can walk of my own volition, thank you."

Apollo had a teasing light in his eyes when he nodded and waved his arm toward the stairs.

The moment she stood at the top of the stairs, the warm sea air washed over her. It was almost sweet to the smell. A small breeze helped the hot temperatures stay more bearable. The sun warmed Alex's face and her soul. She felt like she was home.

With a deep breath, Alex made her way down the stairs where a black SUV was parked and waiting for them.

She looked around to find the chaos and hustle and bustle of the Athens Airport was a ways off. It was almost secluded where the Stavros jet had landed.

As she walked to the vehicle, she felt Apollo's hand at the small of her back. His hand was strong, firm and protective.

She started slightly but continued to walk calmly. But her insides were anything but calm. What was happening to her? Just a simple touch from Apollo sent her senses into orbit. She wanted to turn and attach herself to him like an anaconda. She ached to smell him and taste him to her fill.

Apollo helped her in the SUV and then walked around and got in the front passenger side. Kris slid in beside her and Yiannis took the driver's seat.

Kris leaned over and clicked her seatbelt with a grin.

It didn't take her long to understand why it was so vital that she wear her seatbelt. If she were dramatic, she would have said that her life flashed before her eyes during the drive. But she was pretty sure that it did.

The traffic was thick and congested along the seemingly narrow streets. Yiannis would travel behind the mass until suddenly he would swerve around cars and jockey for space, moving faster than the other drivers. Combine that with almost everybody else doing the same, it was terrifying.

Apollo took a phone call and acted like his life wasn't in danger at all. Kris was glued to his phone unaware that he only had moments to live.

Yiannis must have seen her expression of horror on her face in the rearview mirror because he chuckled, "No worries, miss. I've driven these roads since I was young lad."

Alex let out a breath. "Well that explains why everyone is driving like sixteen-year-old boys on their way to pick up a hot date thinking they're going to get lucky."

Yiannis swerved suddenly to the left and burst out laughing. "You're not wrong! Drivers in Athens are not known for their patience. They view the traffic laws as a challenge."

Apollo looked back at her and grinned and Kris bumped shoulders with her but never looked up from his phone. He must be letting all his friends know he was back in Greece. Friends as in males that are available tonight.

Eventually they made it out of the city and the driving became less threatening. Alex was able to look out the window and see the beauty instead of death.

The rich greens were everywhere. The cypress trees stood majestically and some of them reminded her of Japanese bonsai trees. There were oak trees and pine trees. It reminded her a little of Maine with the lush greens.

A delighted gasp escaped when she spied the olive trees.

Apollo turned to look at her with a raised eyebrow.

She smiled. "The olive trees."

He nodded. "There's no shortage of olive trees here in Greece."

"Did you know that the goddess Athena donated the olive tree to the residents of Athens?" she said dreamily.