Prologue

Alex held her middle finger over her shoulder as she pushed the screen door open with all her might. Fuck all of them!

She marched down the steps, glaring back at all those who were staring at her. She should have known better than to listen to the lemmings.

Alex had been on campus for one week and in that short amount of time she had forgotten that she didn't belong here. She didn't belong anywhere. But most definitely not at Harvard University or at the severely misogynistic, fraternity, Sigma Chi.

Her combat boots clumped as she stomped down the elaborate granite stairs. Everything about this campus screamed money and prestige. How could she ever have thought she could be part of this? Risking a glance over her shoulder, the fraternity house mocked her as it loomed larger than life. The massive structure looked a little like a miniature White House with its solid pillars standing guard.

She drew herself up to her full height, which was only 5'4" with her boots on, and thrust her chin out in challenge.

Her outward bravado was only for show, however, because she felt the flush of heat crawling up her neck and face. The curse of being fair skinned.

Her thoughts were clouded by frustration and anger. She knew coming here tonight had been stupid. She might as well try and catch lightning in a bottle as to try fitting in with her privileged peers. The elite men and women here could smell a fraud a mile away. She would never be anything but trailer trash to them.

Alex had tried to be nice to all the girls in her dormitory. She had given the appropriate answers when spoken to, which wasn't often. She had smiled when all she really wanted to do was slap their smug, arrogant faces.

The worst encounter had been her roommate. A tall, graceful girl, who carried herself confidently. She had long flowing hair like spun gold. In comparison, Alex was pitifully skinny, almost pubescent in size, cobalt eyes rimmed in black that glowed and pierced. Alex hadn't been in the room five minutes before the girl, who would be sharing personal space with her, was on the phone with the administration office trying to move to another room. All while she was standing right there.

Even then she played nice. She realized she wasn't everyone's cup of tea. A couple of hours later, the largest girl Alex had ever seen, wheeled her suitcase into her dorm room. She had disheveled hair, like a black aura encircling her head. Her bulbous nose dominated her meaty features and her eyes were hard, filled with dislike.

The girl took one look at Alex and pointed to the bed with her single backpack laying on it.

"Stay on your own side of the room," she grunted, contempt oozing from her haughty voice.

"Make sure you sleep with one eye open," Alex added with a slight smile of defiance. She was done being nice.

There had been a long brittle silence before her tubby roommate huffed and rolled her eyes. She then opened her suitcase to reveal the most junk food Alex had seen in one place.

Alex had heard rumblings of a big party at Sigma Chi and stupidly decided that she would go and try to find her tribe. She also was curious to see how the rich and beautiful people interacted with one another. It was a kind of learning expedition, really. Also a temporary cessation of her worries and stress from the past week.

She hadn't been at the crowded soirée for five minutes, when Goldilocks, her first roommate, squealed and pointed at her, which made everyone else turn to see the freak that had just walked in.

Her body froze in place. Blood began to pound in her temples. She was glad of the semi darkness because it hid the flush in her neck and face. Actually, she wasn't flushed, she was crimson with resentment and humiliation.