Chapter 81 - The Heart wants what the Heart wants

81

It was the morning of my 21st birthday and I was sat in my bedroom waiting for a phone call from the lawyer representing Karina's family in the trial against Karim.

Kari was laying next to me on the bed, and Kelani was in the kitchen.

I didn't really have an exact plan for my birthday, I would probably just go out to eat and then maybe go to a club. After everything that had happened on my last birthday, I wasn't in the best mood, and I'm sure my friends weren't either.

My phone finally rang...

"Hello Miss Clarke, it's Martin Johnson, the lawyer for the Smythe family."

"Hi." I said, waiting for him to continue.

"I was just calling to let you know that Mr. Davis is pleading not guilty to murder, which makes the case a little harder for us. As the prosecuting lawyers, my team and I now need to be able to prove that he was capable of murder and intended to kill Miss Smythe. It has become apparent that after some psychiatric evaluations, Mr. Davis has been diagnosed with Schizo-Affective disorder, which his defence is using to try and claim he was not of sound mind at the time. So I will need to meet with you to take a secondary statement based upon this new information, as well as to prepare you for giving evidence at the trial."

We arranged a day to meet up and then I got off the phone and gave Kari a bath.

After our bath, I sat staring into space. Karim was really trying to get away with murder, it was disgusting. Couldn't he just own up to the things he had done? He needed to man up and take responsibility for his evil actions.

Rianna came over and we sat, discussing this new information. As we had both been there on the day Karina was killed, we both had to give evidence at the trial along woth Meisha, Paris and Paige.

I knew Kelvin had returned from New York late last night but I hadn't heard from him yet, I just assumed he was sleeping off his jet lag.

I hadn't heard from Paige, I knew she still wasn't doing so great, and it had been almost a year since the death of her son, so I understood she probably felt extremely sad.

My aunt Kendra came over to visit with Chelsea, and she brought some food with her.

We sat in front of the TV watching old episodes of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, when suddenly the buzzer rang.

Because she was already standing up, Chelsea answered it and said,

"It's someone called Taylor, she said she works with you...?"

I nodded and swallowed the food in my mouth

"Yeah, let her in. I wasn't expecting her, though." I said, putting my plate down and standing up. Chelsea opened the front door and then went into the bathroom.

Taylor walked up to the front door, holding a huge shopping bag in her hand, a cake in the other and she was followed by a guy carrying two big bouquets of my favourite flowers - Roses and Chrysanthemums.

"Kel wanted me to surprise you with these, he's still sleeping but he somehow managed to arrange all of this." She said, smiling but looking extremely tired.

"Oh my gosh! I don't even know what to say," I said, with a huge smile on my face.

"He said to tell you to be ready by 10pm, he's taking you out somewhere, I don't know where... All I know is I need to go home and sleep!"
She put the cake down on the table, and the guy behind her put the two vases full of flowers in the kitchen.