42. anhedonia.

ACT TWO
(anhedonia)

VERONÍCA SMILED softly as she stared down at the baby in her arms. Judith. She had been slowly rocking the baby while also listening to the conversation between Rick and the strangers.

While the woman was gone, Carl and Rory had stumbled across strangers in the gyms. He brought them here, and it was obvious that they wanted to stay. Veroníca just hoped Rick would think logically about this. They needed people.

"How'd you get in?" Rick asked, resting his hands on his belt just as Veroníca looked up. No longer staring at the baby in her arms.

"Fire damage to the administration part of the prison. Walls down."

"That side is completely overrun with walkers. How'd you get this far?"

"We didn't. We lost our friend, Donna." Tyreese answered while an older man behind Sasha clenched his fist.

"I'm sorry about your friend. We know what that's like." Rick replied, making Veroníca frown a bit as she looked back down at Judith.

"Hershel said you could use some extra hands. We're no stranger to hard work. We'll go out and get our own food, stay out of your hair. You got a problem with another group, we'll help with that, too. Anything to contribute."

There was a brief silence, Veroníca nervously sharing a look with Hershel as Rick responded. "No."

"Please. It's just us now." Sasha begged while Rick shook his head. "No."

"Rick, we should talk about it." Veroníca finally butt in while Rick looked at the ground.

"She's right. We can't just keep—" Hershel started, almost immediately being cut off by Rick as his head shot towards the older man.

"We've been through this. With Tomas, Andrew. Look what happened."

At Rick's explanation, Carol spoke up as well from beside Axel. "Axel and Oscar weren't like them."

"And where's Oscar now?!" Rick yelled, rendering the group silent again. "I can't be responsible."

"You turn us out. You are responsible."

The man's response didn't earn a reply from Rick. Instead Hershel called him over to him. He complied, standing beside Maggie's father as they quietly whispered to one another.

The quiet words of encouragement seemed to make sense to Rick. Seeing as the man glanced at the group of strangers with pity-filled eyes.

He then glanced at his group, making eye contact with Carl before sighing and patting Hershel's shoulder.

He nodded for just a moment, making Veroníca softly smile. Based on his body language, it was clear what Rick was doing. He was going to let these strangers in for the greater good.

Or atleast that's what everyone had assumed until the man suddenly began speaking again, this time with a hurt tone. "Why are you here? What do you want from me? Why are you—"

"Dad?" Carl asked, confused on why Rick was staring upwards at the second story window of the cellblock.

"I can't help you. Get out! Get—Get out!" Rick yelled, making his way over to Tyreese who held up his hands as a personal signal of surrender.