26

—

The sound of snarls began to echo around the room as I ran towards the chair in front of the barricade. I could hear the small barrier that I created crash behind me, signalling that I need to hurry.

Finally I had arrived at the chair, immediately standing on it as I stepped onto a desk, having to throw myself over as I could see zombies charging at me in the corner of my eye.

This, however, caused me to nearly face plant the floor as my foot got caught in a chair but was quickly held by Suhyeok.

"Watch where you're going, moron." Suhyeok spoke as he helped me stand back up straight.

"What did I say about calling me a moron?" I asked, glaring at him lightly before turning to face the rest of the group. Already, I could see them struggling to hold the barricade, to which I soon joined in.

The sound of music was now mixing with the low snarls and growls as everyone had to push their entire body weight onto the barricade to keep it up straight.

Chairs and desks had began to fall onto us as they were not properly secured, one nearly hitting me in the head if Wujin hadn't pushed it away fast enough.

"Daesu, you've got to make some noise!" Onjo demanded as she was standing by the window.

Daesu quickly responded by, seemingly, screaming every curse word that could come to mind in the moment and it seemed to work as the barricade had become even harder to hold up.

The sound of instruments being hit rang through the room next but I was too focused on the barricade to look back, however, I could see Wujin run away in the corner of my eye.

"Wujin!" I heard, what sounded like, Cheongsan shout.

"We can't go yet! Not yet!" I could hear Wujin shout back in response as everyone let out groans of frustration.

I could see bloody hands start to appear from inside of the barricade, causing me to grow even more nervous when a sudden shout caused me to almost stop in my tracks.

"Jihye! Above you!" Wujin shouted causing me to look up in surprise but was immediately met with a zombie trying to reach out for me, making me back away slightly as I looked for an object to knock it down with.

My wishes were soon met as Onjo quickly ran up and hit the zombie with a drum, sending it straight to the other side. I quickly nodded at the girl before running back to my position, my back already beginning to hurt.

"It's not going to hold up!" I heard Hyoryeong shout, struggle was evident in her voice.

"How much longer is it going to take? Let's go!" Daesu shouted, hurting my ears as he was right next to me.

"A little more. Not yet!" Wujin shouted in response, I turned my head to see a panicked look on his face as he was watching all of us.

I continued to watch him as, after awhile, he opened the door slowly, sticking his head out at the now empty hallways.

"Clear. We have to go now!" He shouted. I immediately ran over to him as he grabbed a music stand for protection. Hyoryeong was quick to follow as everyone slowly began to arrive next to us. I had also picked up a music stand

"Hey, let's go!" Wujin shouted once again, grabbing ahold of my hand before running out of the room with everyone following.

We were soon to arrive at the stairs as I was quickly pulled up it by Wujin, knocking me over slightly as I was swiftly pulled back up.

Finally we had made it up all the stairs, panting loudly at the large amount of exercise. Cheongsan had run up to the door, trying to ply it open as we all watched breathlessly.

"Come on, open it." Daesu demanded as he walked up to the other boy.

"It's locked." Cheongsan announced, causing us to all let out groans of disappointment. Daesu had then pushed Cheongsan out of the way before slamming his entire body into the door, trying to open it by force.

"Wait. Get back. Move." Cheongsan demanded as we all watched while he ran to the keypad, small sounds of beeping left it as Cheongsan quickly punched it after the password was declined.

Joonyeong quickly ran over to the door, slamming his hand on it a he shouted, "Is anyone there? Anyone? Open the door!"

"Of course they're not! Get back!" Daesu shouted as Joonyeong quickly obliged as Wujin approached, letting go of my hand as he did so.

"One, two, three!" Daesu shouted as both him and Wujin rammed their bodies into the locked door continuously. I quickly joined in behind Wujin, slamming my left shoulder into the door as pain quickly shot through my arm.

Suddenly, the sound of a helicopter could be heard from coming outside of the door as we all looked at each other.

"They're here." Namra announced and almost immediately after, snarls and growls echoed throughout the stairwell, causing us to all look down as Wujin grabbed ahold of my hand once again.

Fear began to envelop everyone as the sight of zombies appeared, charging directly at Cheongsan and Suhyeok who were both standing in the middle of the stairs, holding music stands as weapons.

We all watched as both began to fight off the largely growing hoard of zombies. Me, Daesu and Wujin had returned back to the door, continuing to slam our bodies against it.

I looked back to see the others throwing, what looked to be, a blue rain cover on top of the flesh eating creatures.

Eventually we had run out of energy and had just rested our bodies against the door, hope leaving our bodies.

"Hey, Daesu!" Joonyeong shouted, causing us all to run over and grab onto the cover, trying to hold it up as best we could.

We all watched as Gwinam had appeared, shocking everyone as he began to fight Cheongsan, grabbing ahold of his face but before he could do anything Namra stepped in.

She grabbed his neck, I could see her eye had turned red as she held him above the stairs, choking the boy. I watched as she threw him down onto the cover before staring at her hand.

I looked at her confused before Onjo grabbed our attention.

"Guys. It's open. The door's unlocked." She looked at everyone, hope evident in her expression as we all shouted down at the two boys that we could go.

We all ran onto the rooftop as the helicopter was leaving, throwing our arms in the air as we all hoped we could be seen.

Hope was immediately drained from everyone as the helicopter had failed to see us and continued to fly away. We had all individually began to stop flailing our arms around, realising that this might have been the closest we had gotten to other human life.

—