38

Looking to the red tipped projectile which was imbedded within her skin, Elsie reached up with a shaking hand to touch it. The light emanating from her hand slowly started to diffuse as she felt numb. Numb, light-headed and a little nauseous feeling. Touching the item on her shoulder one last time she looked with widened eyes at the armed guards which had created a circle around her. Keeling over she placed her hands against her knees to try and steady herself. Her head felt light, her vision was swimming and she couldn't quite recollect where she was or what she was doing. She couldn't remember anything. Her mind and thought processes were simply slipping away from her like sand through her fingers. Tilting her head to the side, she listened. She could hear a voice calling her name. Struggling to stay upright she sunk to her knees and looked up with bleary eyes. Narrowing them to focus she looked through the gaps between the armed guards which were slowly closing in on her.

"Elsie?! Get up! You're okay!" 

Elsie tilted her head to the side, putting one foot underneath herself she pushed upwards only to falter back to the ground. In the end, her vision was growing dark and her legs felt like stone. Her arms felt heavy and her head felt disjointed. Slowly she felt herself slipping to the side. She met the snow covered concrete with a quiet thud and looked upwards at the visor wearing guards. But beyond that, beyond them she could make out a figure being kept back. "Charles?" Elsie's voice was dead in the air. It was barely a whisper, yet somehow he had heard her, he continued to call something out to her. But she couldn't hear him, her world had gone dark.

The start of the day hadn't even been that bad. Far from it, it had started great and there was no sign of trouble...other than the usual trouble and teasing Alex sent in Hank's direction when he had actually decided to come out of his room for breakfast, for once. It was a rarity, but no one else commented on Hank's appearance in the kitchen that morning other than Alex, no surprising there. Thankfully Elsie had missed this or she would've jumped right to tackle Alex's comments. 

"I've been thinking," she said slowly while staying on her stomach and practically gripping the pillow underneath her head. She was extremely comfortable and had no wish or will whatsoever to move just yet.

"So early in the morning?" Came the simple reply as Charles looked over at her. Half her face was buried in the pillow. But the one eye which was visible cracked open and looked to him. "Go on," he smiled ignoring the narrowing of the eye Elsie was sending his way.

"I know we sort of unofficially said no to present buying for Christmas, right? But like...I've been thinking about this, we should still get things together to celebrate it. I know it's still about a month away, but people always get stuff super early, don't they? You know...like a tree, decorations, food? I don't know, it was just a thought."

"I think it's a great thought, Elsie." Charles nodded slowly while pushing himself up to sit. Looking slowly down at her he reached up and poked her gently on the shoulder. She opened her eye again and looked to him. "Perhaps we should get out early, hm?"

"Hm." Was her reply while she huddled more into the covers and pillow. "In a minute."
With a frown he sat up, turned and pulled the covers from her. She sat up after writhing and trying to curl up in the sheets. She failed so she sat and narrowed her eyes at him. 

"Good morning!"

Elsie frowned, "Good? Good?" She knelt in front of him and looked at him sceptically. "Do you know the meaning of the word?"

"Well-"

"Rhetorical," Elsie said while slowly removing her hand from his mouth. Placing her hands to either side of his face she leaned forwards and gently kissed him. "Regardless, good morning." She slipped out of the bed and commenced getting ready for the day.